Mystery of the missing "File" Toolbar!

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Mystery of the missing "File" Toolbar!

Post by gsherry1 »

Hello Forum,

I have a developer who managed to make their file toolbar dissappear. I have tried many things to get it to re-appear, none of which have worked. The designer is fairly useless without that toolbar. Unfortunately, even a re-install did not make it reappear. By file toolbar, I mean the one with the "File Edit Diagram ..." options.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
Is there some registry or configuration file that can be reset the GUI layout?

I have tried reshaping all the windows to see if it is hiding somewhere, but I simply cannot find it.

Your help is appreciated.

Greg
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

File Edit Diagram only show up in the menu bar when a job is opened. So what your trying to say is, there is no where in the menu bar you can see File View etc. Try pressing Alt and V together or Alt F. Does anything happen?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by gsherry1 »

When pressing Alt-F or other value Alt combination from this toolbar, the submenu corresponding to that button appears on the left of the canvas. It actually appears in the same location as the Repository view. However, moving the repository view and palette out of the way does not reveal the File toolbar. Normally, the submenu appears directly below the menu item it corresponds to. In this situation, it appears against a blank canvas.

- Greg
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You seem to have parked it hard on the left hand edge of the canvas. All toolbars in Designer are floating. Can you position your mouse pointer in it when it's visible? If so, try double click to see whether you can release it from its parked position, then you can drag it to where you want. If that doesn't work, try clicking, or right clicking, or double clicking in its title bar. One of those ought to resize it.

Your other alternative is to change its position information in the Registry, not a task for the faint hearted!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
clshore
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by clshore »

I've had this a couple of times in 7.X,
re-install fixed it; but have also used 'regedit' to hack the registry.
I still don't know what combo of mouse/keystroke/moonphase causes it,
but once gone, it's gone.

Carter
gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by gsherry1 »

ray.wurlod wrote:You seem to have parked it hard on the left hand edge of the canvas. All toolbars in Designer are floating. Can you position your mouse pointer in it when it's visible? If so, try double click to s ...
The title bar is never visible, even when I use an alt sequence to make a sub menu visible (Alt-F). The submenu always appear at the same location at the left of the screen, even if my DataStage Designer window has been resized to the right of the screen. It's as if the title bar has been resized to a height and width of 0.

I tried the registry route unsuccessfully. There was far to many entries to check out.

Thanks.

- Greg
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Have you tried to get the information from the developer that how he manage to make is disapear. Atleast we can try reverse engineering. :wink:
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by gsherry1 »

kumar_s wrote:Have you tried to get the information from the developer that how he manage to make is disapear. Atleast we can try reverse engineering. :wink:
It was several months ago, so it's difficult to remember. I think we were moving alot of windows around the desktop and we ended up moving the file title bar instead of the designer window.

I'm afraid to fool around to repeat the problem on my own install, given I don't have any solution.

- Greg
Vijay_pandey
Participant

Re: Mystery of the missing "File" Toolbar!

Post by Vijay_pandey »

I also faced the same problem. It's easy to reproduce it. Just click and drag your menu bar to the windows task bar. Right click the windows task bar -> Properties. In the properties tab Check the checkbox : Auto hide the Task bar. You can see the menu bar. Just click on it and then place the menu bar where ever you want to place it.
The menu bar can also be lost if you click and drag it on the right of the title bar. In that case what I did was to close the designer and reopened it. Open any job & you can see an outline of the bar.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Good catch. :!: But in that case Alt + F give the menu from where it is hidden. Lets see if this helps Greg's problem.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by gsherry1 »

Hello Vijay,

Unfortunately, neither of those have worked for us.

We followed the suggestions and everything went smoothly until we go to the sections
'You can see the menu bar'
and
'you can see an outline of the bar'
We didn't see anything different.

Currently the developer has memorized the Alt sequences so they can continue developing.

Thanks for your suggestions.

- Greg
kiran_418
Participant

Post by kiran_418 »

I had the same problem, and even after re installation it didnt show up. Now what I have done is I deleted all the Ascential files and removed all the registry entries and copied the C:\Program Files\Ascential folder from a different develops system. Amazingly the File menu bar appeared in my machine. You can try that.
rverharen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Log on to another workstation

Post by rverharen »

If you are working on a network environment you have an alternative in logging on to another workstation (WS2) with your current workstation (WS1) still active.
On WS2 you still have the file toolbar because your settings are saved when closing down your workstation.
So after you're logged on to WS2 you shutdown WS1 and after that you shutdown WS2.
Now log on to WS1 again and your toolbar is back again.