could an odbc change blow up an SE installation?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

flashgordon
Premium Member
Premium Member

could an odbc change blow up an SE installation?

Post by flashgordon »

Hi,

Something incredibly bad happened to us this afternoon. We went in to bounce the datastage server and the dsenv file and uvconfig file and maybe other files in the $DSHOME had dissapeared. This may have happened because of some error on the Unix side but I want to be sure of something. I got some very good advice from this site earlier today, changed only .odbc.ini in $DSHOME/DSEngine and uvodbc.config in the project directories. I had a working session before the problem and the new odbc connection worked. But there wasn't some other entry like in uvconfig or something that I had to change before I started using odbc, right? And even if I didn't know about some odbc config that would not delete files in $DSHOME, right. This is a Peoplesoft Datastage installation.

... Flash
Flash Gordon
Hyperborean Software Solution
RAJEEV KATTA
Participant

Post by RAJEEV KATTA »

This is definitely not the problem through odbc.ini and uvodbc.config because these are just used to establish a odbc connection and nothing more.It would not delete any files.So dont worry its not because of the odbc setup.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, this should not in any way be related to your ODBC config changes. People delete files, that or things like wayward scripts. We've also seen reports here on Windows servers where anti-virus programs removed critical DataStage files, but that's obviously not the issue here.

Are filesystem backups being taken on a regular basis? Can the missing files be restored from anything like that? Actually, do you have any idea how much has been deleted from your $DSHOME? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
flashgordon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by flashgordon »

Thanks guys,

We've all been doing this a long time. Obviously the first thing you ask is "what changed" and the answer this afternoon was odbc changed. Just wanted to make absolutely sure this change didn't hose it. If it winds up being anything of general interest, I'll post it in this thread.

Craig, thanks for the odbc help earlier. It worked perfectly the first time and that's critical when you have to ask others to change the config for you as opposed to being able to try things yourself.

... Tom
Flash Gordon
Hyperborean Software Solution