Hash file stage-Active or passive stage?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sumesh.abraham
Participant

Hash file stage-Active or passive stage?

Post by sumesh.abraham »

Hi All,

Whether hash file stage is an active stage or passive stage?. My understanding says active stages are stages which perform processing tasks whereas passive stages do not do processing tasks and just offer services to the active stages. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Sumesh
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Your understanding is correct, and by that token a Hashed file stage (notice the difference in spelling, otherwise Ray will pounce on you) is a passive stage.
sumesh.abraham
Participant

Post by sumesh.abraham »

Thanks a lot Arndw.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Active stages have the potential to change the data flowing through them. While simplistic, that's not a bad way to differentiate. You could always inspect the stage type properties in the Stage Types branch of the Repository - the General tab indicates whether the stage type is active or passive or neither (I leave the last as an exercise for the reader.)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
praveensuss
Participant

Post by praveensuss »

Hashed file is a Passive stage..

Actives stages, such as the Transformer and Aggregator perform processing tasks, while passive stages, such as Sequential file stage, hashed file stage and ODBC stage, are reading or writing data sources and provide services to the active stages.

Hope this clarifies your query !!!

Cheers!!
Praveen
Praveen..
Amit_111
Participant

Post by Amit_111 »

How come a Hashed file is a Passive Stage??............If we go by the definition of Active stages and see that even hashed files perform Hashing Algorithms( which is a kind of processing on Data), Also adding to it the hashed files do the work of removing duplicates from the source based on the keys defined.....looking at these things it should be called as an active stage(even if it might not be)........
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Umm, by that token a sequential file stage is also active, since it opens and writes to files and allows pre- and postprocessing to be done as well. The definitive definitions can be found in the metadata describing these stages, the rest is just theorizing.

I like to look at passive stages as being sources or targets of data; anything else is an active stage.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Applying a hashing algorithm does not change the data; it only locates a key in one of a finite number of groups (pages). Most (if not all) passive stages are capable of destructive overwrite; this is not a change to the record being processed.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.