ADS as ETL tool for Telecom sector DWH

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sh.bangash
Participant

ADS as ETL tool for Telecom sector DWH

Post by sh.bangash »

Hi,

I need to know about use of ADS as ETL tool for telecom sector DWH. What forced me to ask this question specific to telecom dwh is the huge data size and very tight data warehouse ETL Time Window.

Please, share your experience...

Thanks and Regards,
Shahid.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So... "ADS" is "Ascential DataStage" I assume? There is no longer an "Ascential" here, it's "IBM Websphere DataStage". And were you forced to ask this question strictly regarding the Server product as you've marked the post or is the Enterprise Edition / PX a valid option as well?

I'd wager anyone here doing "huge data size tight ETL window telecom sector DWH" is using PX. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sh.bangash
Participant

Post by sh.bangash »

Hi Chullett,

you are right 'ADS' is for Ascential Data Stage and also you are right in mentioning that its no more Ascential. My question was specific to Server Edition as it is what currently I have available with us. But, same question stands valid for Enterprise Edition/PX.
What I am interested to know is if this packaged ETL tool can be used for ETL purpose in telecom DWH!

Regards,
Shahid.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is a telco in India using a server-only DataStage implementation, relying upon multi-instance jobs to achieve scalability. They are processing crores of records per day, and the Data Warehouse is many tens of TB in size. Could be approaching 100TB by now. They're happy with it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Pretty sure Ken has done something similar, maybe not for a telco but from a large volume standpoint.
-craig

ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I'm currently at a telco. Using PX and processing hundreds of millions of records per day. I've done similar types of volume using Server and hand-coding the parallelism but a well-designed PX job wins hands-down when it comes to throughput.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I am currently helping to implement a data warehouse for a very large Telco. The scalability is provided by a grid based approach - able to grow up to hundreds of servers. Parallel version and grid management software makes this possible. There are design techniques for faster throughput such as shadow tables, ETL surrogate keys, changed data capture etc.
sh.bangash
Participant

Post by sh.bangash »

Fellows,
I still don't have a to the point reply over here. May be more details be inside 'Premium content' but since am not a member and don't see it becoming in next few months, so, from tehre too am not able to see the response...

Regards,
Shahid.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I don't think you missed anything, most of the answers were short enough not to get filtered. It's straight forward - DataStage handles high volumes of data and is scalable using a grid architecture, this makes it ideal for Telco data.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Your question:
sh.bangash wrote:What I am interested to know is if this packaged ETL tool can be used for ETL purpose in telecom DWH!
All of the answers you've been given are just longer versions of this: yes!
-craig