Debugging Phantom Error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Amit_111
Participant

Debugging Phantom Error

Post by Amit_111 »

Hi All,

I am getting the following error:

DataStage Job 704 Phantom 28432

Program "DSD.StageRun": Line 544, Nonnumeric data when numeric required. Zero used.

I have searched for this error in the forum; I found that the error is shown in the RT_BP<JobName> folder. I found 6 files in it with TRANS1...6

But none of the files have line number 544. All files have maximum lines around 400.

Also in error it is not giving me the TRANS file name instead its showing "DSD.StageRun". Where and in which file should I trace this error in.

Thanks in Advance.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DSD.StageRun is the routine that runs Transformer stages - it's one that was provided with the software. The error message suggests that you've provided a non-numeric value for some parameter that is supposed only to take numeric values. You need to do some detective work in your job design to figure out where that happened. You may wish to involve your support provider, since the error is generated by a vendor-supplied routine.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Amit_111
Participant

Post by Amit_111 »

Thanks ray,

But I am not able to find the log for this error in the RT_BP<Job No> file. Where will it be??
Thanks in Advance.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It won't be anywhere. You need to scrutinize the job design itself.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ameyvaidya
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ameyvaidya »

2 things:

1. reseting the job may provide additional input in the director log.

2. I've usually encountered this warning when a null was passed to a routine that expected a numeric value (been a while since i've seen this; I might be wrong).

The NullToZero transform (wherever viable) usually takes care of this when the errant column is found.

Finding it however is a another story :cry:
Amey Vaidya<i>
I am rarely happier than when spending an entire day programming my computer to perform automatically a task that it would otherwise take me a good ten seconds to do by hand.</i>
<i>- Douglas Adams</i>
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You can ignore any errors generated by the 'Reset' process. What you are looking for is a 'From previous run...' log message, it is where any 'additional information' will be.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Because the error is from DSD.STAGERUN - shouldn't he be checking the transformer specifically? My understanding was the only thing that DSD.STAGERUN does is execute transformer stage code.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, but then again no. The Transformer code invokes functions (generically called things like "get next row", "get row by key", "put") that are exposed by the passive stage on the other end of each link.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I remember that on some versions on some platforms all jobs would generate this spurious message in the phantom log file. What version and platform are you on?
Amit_111
Participant

Post by Amit_111 »

I am working on DS 6.0 and on Unix. I am getting this message in only 2 jobs. All others are working fine......Still debugging this issue.........
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I still think this might be caused by an issue within DataStage. If you have access to support I would run this by them. If not, you could run the following command from the uv shell "VLIST DSD_BP DSD_RUN.B". The first column will be the source line number. If you could post a couple of (source) lines before and after to this thread on of the olde guarde might be able to decode the compiled pseudocode.
Amit_111
Participant

Post by Amit_111 »

Hi,

I dont know where should I execute this command can you explain in detail where should I execute this command??

Many Thanks
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

a) ensure that your .dsenv has been executed
b) "cd $DSHOME"
c) "./bin/dssh"
d) LOGTO {ProjectName}
e) "VLIST DSD_BP DSD_RUN.B"
f) "QUIT"

or you can use the shell tool in the Administrator to issue just the VLIST command.
Amit_111
Participant

Post by Amit_111 »

Hi,

When I executed the command ""./bin/dssh" in the $DSHOME folder I got the following error message
ld.so.1: dssh: fatal: libdsplugin.so: open failed: No such file or directory
Killed
ANd when I executed the command "VLIST DSD_BP DSD_RUN.B" in the DS Administrator there was so line no 544 in the output where I am getting the phantom error.........It showed some code till 543 and then directly for 547.............source line 544,545,and 546 were missing........
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

In your shell you didn't execute the ". ./dsenv" as suggested, which accounts for the error. Please post lines 543 through 547.