query in a column

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DSbox61
Premium Member
Premium Member

query in a column

Post by DSbox61 »

hi folks,

I need some help with this tricky requirement. I have a table and one of its columns will have a query. I need to execute that query i.e. the column of the table.

Example: there is a column called XQUERY and its value could be 'select * from emp'. Now, I need to execute this query and populate my result. And the gud part is that there would be only one record at a time i.e. i need to execute only one query, but it would come as a value of the column.

How can i do this in datastage? I know i can do this using unix script and db2 -tvf commands. but is this possible in datastage?

thnx for the help guys....
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: query in a column

Post by DeepakCorning »

Assuming that the query stored in the table is a uniform query (you know the output of it - means what format the results will be) you can develop two jobs. The second one gets called from the first one. The first one runs and stores the query in a variable and passes it on to the next job. the next job uses this variable as user defined sql and runs the SQL.
DSbox61
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DSbox61 »

Hi Deepak, what do you mean here by a variable? when i fetch that query using DB2 stage, now where should i send this resultset? should i send it to a file or a job sequence? what stage should i use for this variable?
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DeepakCorning »

Design the second job in a way that the first stage of the job will run a job variable as a user defined SQL. Now when u call this job from the master job u will have to specify the job variable. Pass the query column as the variable when u call the second job.

You can also write a routine which will return the column query as the return value and then u can use this return value in the user defined SQL tab in the job.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Investigate the SDK utility routine UtilityRunJob().
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSbox61
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DSbox61 »

Hi Ray,

How would the UtilityRunJob help? It just provides me the job information. IS this info to make use of it in calling my second job? :?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Pass the query to the job run under control as a job parameter. Use a reference to this job parameter as the user-defined SQL in that job.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sachin1
Participant

Post by sachin1 »

my question is that your table contains a column in which query is stored, is this query static i mean to say same query always or dynamic which means that table columns contains different query for each execution, if it is different then how are you populating your columns viewed through datastage.