Job Failing in Production

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ashik_punar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Job Failing in Production

Post by ashik_punar »

Hi All,
I am having one job in my development box in which i am using a SORT stage. The job is running fine in the Dev box and i moved the job from the Dev server to the Production server. I moved only the Job executable. Now the job is failing in the Production server with the below mentioned message:

No suitable "DSActiveStageC" object of type "sort" found.

When i saw this message i thought might be the SORT stage is not installed on the server,But i found that it is available there. The stage was installed using the dsadm id and now the job is being run using some other id. Please help me in knowing what all could be the possible reasons for the failure of the job. Could it be some permission problem?
Also please help me by clearing the following doubt:
If i take the job executable from one machine and migrate it to other and i am using some plug-in stage in the job design. Do i need to install the plug-in stage on the new machine in order to run the job or the job executable will be having the code of the plug-in stage also in it.

Thank you all for the help that you have been providing.

Thanks & Regards,
Punar Deep Singh
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

First off, yes - when you migrate jobs to another server, any plugins you've used in the job must have been installed on that server. They will not transfer with the job itself.

As to the error you are seeing, I'm not certain as I've only seen similar errors when the stage was in fact not installed. Curious what exactly 'the stage was installed using the dsadm id' means, was it done after the fact or as a separate action from installing DataStage itself there?

Can you create and run a small test job directly in that production project that uses the Sort stage?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ashik_punar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ashik_punar »

Hi Craig,

Thank you for the reply. I do agree that when we use some plug-in stage in a job while development, we need have that stage in the production environment also. Please let me know if i take the executable of the job which is using the Plug-in stage will the code of the Plug-in stage also move with the job executable or do i have to install the plug-in stage on the new server where i intend to run the executable.

I am sorry but i can't create a sample job in the production. Please guide me on the above mentioned query regarding the job executable taking the code of the plug-in stages with it from one server to other.
Thank you for all the help that you have been providing.

Thanks & Regards,
Punar Deep Singh
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ashik_punar wrote:do i have to install the plug-in stage on the new server where i intend to run the executable
chulett wrote:when you migrate jobs to another server, any plugins you've used in the job must have been installed on that server. They will not transfer with the job itself.
Asked and answered. Use a plug-in in a job, any server you transfer it to must have that same plug-in installed there.

However, you've said the plug-in is there. Do you have other jobs in Production using the Sort stage or is this a first? Who installed the plug-in in production? How was it installed?
-craig

ashik_punar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ashik_punar »

Hi Craig,

Thank you for all the help. The issue got resolved. It was some permission problem on the plug in stage directory in the Unix box.

Thank you once agian.

Regards,
Punar Deep Singh
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Great! Please mark the topic as 'Resolved' now.
-craig