Hash stage usage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sravanthi
Participant

Hash stage usage

Post by sravanthi »

Hi,

I have two jobs.
First job load data from a table1 to hash file.
In second job the hash file is used as lookup.

My doubt is in some jobs when i run the second job the first jo is internally called.Where as in some jobs the first job is not called internally and it gives wrong results.

How can we set properties such that when we call second job it should internally call first one.

i should do changes to existing jobs.

Please help...I'm unable to figure it out ..

Thanks,
sravanthi
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Hash stage usage

Post by chulett »

sravanthi wrote:My doubt is in some jobs when i run the second job the first job is internally called.
Not sure exactly what this means, but why not use a Sequence job to tie the two together? Or merge the hashed file build logic from the first job into the second job so you only have to run the 'second' job and it will first build the hashed file, then use it. Poor excuse for an ascii art example of what I mean:

Code: Select all

db ----> txm ----> hsh
                    |
                    |
db --------------> txm -----> target
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There are several ways to have one job "internally call" another, such as before-job subroutine or job control routine. That said, I would advocate keeping the execution modular, and creating a job sequence to run the one then the other. It would then be the job sequence that you execute, rather than either of the jobs it controls. You will find this approach easier to maintain in the long run.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.