using String Math functions

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

asitagrawal
Premium Member
Premium Member

using String Math functions

Post by asitagrawal »

Hi,

I am facing problems with Decimal numbers arithmetic operations, esp for (23,3) format decimal numbers.

The forum search results guide me to the usage of String Math functions, like, SDIV and SMUL etc.
I tested them using a routine and the results are correct.

But I am unable to use these functions on the Field Derivation. Can't I use them there ? Can these be used only using a Routine ?
Share to Learn, and Learn to Share.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I've only used them in routines. I'm not positive but have you tried just typing them in and compiling the job regardless of the fact that it stays red in the derivation?

Sometimes that's just a matter of the function not being in the DSParams file so it's not recognized as valid but works fine when the job runs. And sometimes it just means you need to put it in a routine. :wink:

If the job compiles and runs, put an annotation in on the subject so no-one freaks out when they find 'invalid' syntax in the job.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
asitagrawal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by asitagrawal »

Thanks Chulett !!

The job is getting compliled without any warnings.. So now I am proceeding with using SDIV etc
Is it not possible to add the function to DSParams ??

Has any one faced such requirement ?
Share to Learn, and Learn to Share.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sure... a search on DSParams should turn up conversations where that is discussed. Just a simple exercise with a text editor. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers