error while creating job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sdfasih
Participant

error while creating job

Post by sdfasih »

Error while creating job Error on CREATE.FILE command (creating file "RT_CONFIG8118" as type30.ymkdbfile:cannot create file RT_CONFIG8118yunable to create operating system file "RT_config8118" yxxx processing cannot continueyxxx)
NBALA
Participant

Re: error while creating job

Post by NBALA »

Hi,

Check the permissions on the directory..! Is only happening with this job are are all jobs?
provide more details if you have.

-NB
sdfasih
Participant

Post by sdfasih »

AFTER CLICKING OK ON THAT MESSAGE IT GIVES ME ANOTHER MESSAGE "UNABLE TO RETURN AN ATTACHED JOB"
BOTH ARE DATASTAGE REPOSITORY INTERFACE MESSAGES.
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: error while creating job

Post by gateleys »

Have you tried using some other filename?

gateleys
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

A DataStage project is attached to a DOS or UNIX directory. You need write permission to compile jobs, change jobs, import jobs or almost anything you can do in either Designer or Manager except view.
Mamu Kim
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

As the message says, your user id might not have permission to write the config file information in your project directory. Try with different user id, or check the permission with that user id.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Given that this is the 8118th job you've created, and there are six hashed files created per job, you may be hitting an operating system limit "number of subdirectories in a directory". This is 32765 on Solaris. Time to clean up your project, maybe split it into two projects.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

8000 Jobs in a project should defenitely need to work out. :wink:
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ivannavi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ivannavi »

I'm almost certain that we have hit "operating system limit "number of subdirectories in a directory". VERSION project directory has exactly 32765
directories and the error while trying to initialize a job was "...unable to create operating system file". The OS is HP-UX though, not Solaris.
However, I need an advise - how to carry on?
I was thinking of creating a completely new VERSION2 project, and use the old one only for promotion of old versions.
Another option mentioned is "split it into two projects". How do I do that?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Basically select a set of jobs (and any dependent objects such as routines, transforms, data elements, table definitions, etc.) from the old project, export them then import them into the new project. Compile everything to make sure you have not missed any dependent components.

As you get time, delete anything no longer needed from the old project.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I've encountered this limit on AIX before with very large projects and while the real solution is to split the project into multiple ones that are smaller and more manageable (As well as giving better response in the Director) you can resize some of DataStage's files to static hashed, this reduces the number of inodes used by 3 per hashed file (going from 1 dir, 1 hidden, 2 visible files per hashed file to 1 visible file). N.B. this is only a temporary fix.
ivannavi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ivannavi »

Thank you both!
I decided to just create a new version project and start using it. I left the old one as it is. It can still be used to promote old versions.
I think its the easiest way.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

True... just be aware that all of your version numbers will restart back at ^1.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers