FTP XML File to

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ds2000
Premium Member
Premium Member

FTP XML File to

Post by ds2000 »

I want to FTP two xml files created by datastage jobs to remote server. Never done before ftp. Any suggestions.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Learn FTP.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Short but correct, regardless. You'll need to 'script' the ftp of the two files to your remote server. If you don't know anything about ftp, is there someone there where you work who does and would be willing to write the required batch file for you? Or try to Google up some examples. Manual FTP is pretty straight-forward and something you could learn on your own rather easily, it's the scripting part that seems to throw people.

You can get some samples of the 'here document' style one would use on a UNIX server to do the same task by searching the forums here, unfortunately I'm unsure how one would do the same in a Windows batch file. :(
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ds2000
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds2000 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Learn FTP.
I have read it and have questions:

a) As i read "File Transfer plug-in, extracts data from, or writes data to, a single text file".
So can i use xml files to ftp using plugin ? For xml files do i have to use folder stage as input to ftp?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ray said 'FTP' not 'the FTP Stage'. You'll find the stage problematic for things like XML files as the stage is metadata driven and will want to transfer the files one 'record' at a time. While you may be able to get it to work if you haven't formatted the XML output, you're better off learning and using command line ftp for this.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers