Information Server 8.0.1 Unix Parallel Client 2 GIG Req:

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

cundyp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Information Server 8.0.1 Unix Parallel Client 2 GIG Req:

Post by cundyp »

We are getting ready to install Information Server 8.0.1 Unix, Parallel from 7.5.1 Unix Parallel.

We understand that the client has a 2 gig memory requirement.
Our managers want to see this in writing but we can't find it in the IBM docs.

Question: Is 2 gig a valid client memory requirement and does anyone know where its documented?
Pete Cundy
Leawood, Kansas
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Try this link:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.ws ... 23&rs=2321

Fairly far down in it you'll find...

Memory requirements

The minimum amount of memory for installing the IBM Information Server client layer is 2 GB. The recommended amount of memory for installing the domain and engine layers is 4 - 8 GB. The MetaBrokers and bridges do not require any additional memory to install.

Evaluate the following factors to determine the memory requirements for your system:

Other software on the same server
Performance requirements
Size and complexity of your configuration
Extent of activity and the number of clients that access your system
Processing for the temporary tables and sorts that are performed by the servers to avoid disk input and output

The main reason for the increase is the new java-based client (which requires the java-engine). Most of the IBM SE's say that the client will be ok with 2 GB, but if you typically run several other applications at the same time you might want to consider 3GB.
Last edited by asorrell on Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Andy wrote:The main reason for the increase is the new java-based client (which requires the java-engine). Most of the IBM SE's say that the client will be ok with 2 MB, but if you typically run several other applications at the same time you might want to consider 3MB.
He means GB, of course, not MB.
Only Bill Gates believes that 640KB is all the memory you'll ever need.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Ouch! Yes it was supposed to be GB. Sorry about the typo, I was in a hurry. I've corrected it. Thanks for catching that Ray!
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Guess you haven't picked up my PM yet, Andy. At least I tried to keep things hush hush and a little more covert rather than a public correction. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers