Hash File which can hold more than 2 GB data

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

Well..I just checked the size of DATA.30 file inside the hash file dir...It has crossed 4GB
abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

What perplexes me is that when Stage Write Cache is allowed...hash file can only accomodate 2Gb...when it is not allowed it accomodates more than that...I know it is very slow and the rate at which rows gets populated decreases as time passes...but still it does not abort...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is no a priori knowledge of the size of the hashed file when "allow cache" is set at design time. If the hashed file is too big, then a warning is issued, and the hashed file is accessed on disk. But this can not be ascertained until run time.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

I just came to know that the OS is limiting hash file size. But the admin is not ready to increase this limit saying that it may affect other hash files which are fine now...Is this really an issue?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No.

No hashed file can exceed 2GB without being created/resized to use 64-bit addressing internally. Increasing ulimit or a kernel file size parameter will have no impact whatsoever on existing or newly-created hashed files.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

We already have 64BIT hash file...But once it reaches 2 GB limit the job aborts...If a 64bIT hashed file can hold data in terabytes..why is this happening?. It is TYPE30 file.
abhilashnair
Participant

Urgent Issue in Production

Post by abhilashnair »

We have a urgent issue in Production...We have 184 million records which have come from source. The size is 18 GB. We want them to be loaded into a hashed file. We have 64BIT Type 30 Hash file. But still after 2Gb it is aborting...Please Help
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

abhilashnair wrote:I just came to know that the OS is limiting hash file size.
This would be your 'urgent' issue, I'd wager. Have your SA remove the file size limitation for your DataStage user.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If they won't, use a Distributed file of at least ten parts.