Attempt to convert String value "2005-12-14 " to D

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Shadab_Farooque
Participant

Attempt to convert String value "2005-12-14 " to D

Post by Shadab_Farooque »

Hi,

I am using a routine for Date field.
However, I am getting the error as "Attempt to convert String value "2005-12-14 " to Date type unsuccessful"
The input date is in format "20070716" (in YYYYMMDD) Format.
I have to load this in Oracle table.The column in Oracle Table is "Date".

Please advise
Shadab Farooque
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What does your target SQL look like? There should be a TO_DATE() function there with a matching mask.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You assertion is incorrect: the incoming date is NOT in YYYYMMDD format. The error message informs you that it is in YYYY-MM-DD format. Be more general with your specification to the Iconv() function - just specify "DYMD", which will handle both formats.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sounds to me like the 'input' is indeed YYYYMMDD and the 'routine' (whatever it is) is successfully converting it to YYYY-MM-DD. Oracle then rejects it as there is no TO_DATE() conversion specified and it is not in the default NLS_DATE format for the target database. Or the generated mask doesn't match what's being supplied, but that would generally throw a different error.

Rather than always trying to target whatever the default date format is for any given database, best to assume nothing and use a generated TO_DATE() function with the proper mask so the default date format doesn't matter. IMHO.
-craig

Shadab_Farooque
Participant

Post by Shadab_Farooque »

Hi Chelett,

You are right,the input date is in YYYYMMDD formay and the routine is successfully converting it to MM-DD-YYYY.I also wrote the routine to convert the input date to DD-MON-YY format,but still encountering the above error.
Can you tell me wheteher TO_DATE() conversion has to be specified.
The generated sql query look likes

UPDATE table1 Country_Code=:2,Country_Name=:3,Description=:4,Start_Date=TO_DATE(:5, 'DD-MON-YY'),Warehouse_Update_Date=TO_DATE(:6, 'DD-MON-YY') WHERE W_Key=:1;
INSERT INTO MWV_BUCKET_DIM (W_Key,Country_Code,country_Name,Description,Start_Date,Warehouse_Update_Date) VALUES (:1,:2,:3,:4,TO_DATE(:5, 'DD-MON-YY'),TO_DATE(:6, 'DD-MON-YY')).

Please advise where elso TO_DATE() has to be used in order to get rid of the error.
Shadab Farooque
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

String value "2005-12-14", complained of in the error message, does NOT look like MM-DD-YYYY format to me.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Nor does it look like DD-MON-YY which is what your TO_DATE (which you obviously already have) is expecting. Your routine will need to produce a date in *that* format for it to work with that generated sql. Doing that properly can't give you "the above" error again, if you think it is - post your latest error message.
-craig