Null default value

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nynali
Participant

Null default value

Post by nynali »

We have approx. 4000 decimal and char type columns in a Sequential writer. All the columns are Nullable. I need to define the "Null Field Value" for each column thru Edit Column Meta Data. Most of the char columns are more than 20 bytes long. Is there is shortest way to put the spaces rather than pressing space bar equal to the length of the column. I saw in one of the post to put 19 "*" that means replicate 19 times spaces. It is treating like a literal when I used the same expression.
Please help me out on this.
nynali
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Enter the 19 spaces then select them. Press Ctrl-C. Then, for all the others, press Ctrl-V. It's a technique called copy-and-paste.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
nynali
Participant

Post by nynali »

But we have fields which have more than 19 bytes and one of the fields is 350 bytes in length.
ray.wurlod wrote:Enter the 19 spaces then select them. Press Ctrl-C. Then, for all the others, press Ctrl-V. It's a technique called copy-and-paste.
nynali
Hemant_Kulkarni
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Hemant_Kulkarni »

I dont know if this is the right way or not, but this is how we do it

open word document
press space bar, keep track of "Col" in the status bar, press space till Col shows 350 (for field of 350 characters)

Then use the windows' gift ctrl C ctrl V
Maveric
Participant

Post by Maveric »

nynali is this a parallel job or a server job? U have the same post in server and parallel forum and Job Type in both the forums is parallel.