Problem running multiple instance job in a sequence

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ds_team
Participant

Problem running multiple instance job in a sequence

Post by ds_team »

I am running a sequence job in Datastage version 8.0 but getting the below error:
job_seq..JobControl (DSWaitForJob): Job bftp_vistacrep.Inv_Id_1 has finished, status = 99 (Not running)
job_seq..JobControl (@Inv_Id_1): Job bftp_vistacrep.Inv_Id_1 did not finish OK, status = 'Not running'

My sequence job contains job activities that refer to multiple instance job. Although I have provided different job invocation ids for multiple instance job in job sequence, still the main sequence is getting aborted with above error message. I tried exporting/importing the job sequence , followed by re-compilation but the same error message still persists. I also re-created the job sequence from scratch on DS version 8.0 and compiled/run the job sequence but same problem encountered again.

Where as when I run the same job sequence on datastage server version 7.5.1.A, it executes successfully.

Any help on this issue would be appreciated.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Problem running multiple instance job in a sequence

Post by chulett »

ds_team wrote:Where as when I run the same job sequence on datastage server version 7.5.1.A, it executes successfully.
If that's true and the exact same series of jobs work under 7.5.x but not under 8.x I'd say it's time to call in the calvary. Open a ticket with your Support provider.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Calvary?
:lol:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ok, maybe they could help too. :wink:
-craig

ds_team
Participant

Post by ds_team »

The problem has been resolved by disabling auto-purge feature in DS director. I raised a ticket for this problem with IBM and IBM suggested to disable auto-purge feature. Now my sequencer with multiple instane jobs inside it, is running fine on DS version 8.0 :D
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:? Ok... I don't see the correlation, but ok. So, now what? You remember to manually purge the logs on occasion?
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Did they suggest when the fix for auto-purge with multiple instance jobs would be made available?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ds_team
Participant

Post by ds_team »

There is an option in datastage administrator to enable/disable auto purge feature. Diasble the auto purge option in DS administartor itself to get rid off this problem. Thats all you need to do.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No it's NOT all you need to do.

With auto-purge disabled your logs grow and grow and grow and eventually IBM want's to sell you more disk and also consulting services to repair the hashed files (job logs) that you've corrupted when the file system becomes full.

This is NOT a resolution - it's a workaround at best.

Bring back auto-purge, I say.
Whadda we want? Auto-purge.
When do we want it? Now!