Different Versions of DS in Same Domain

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shiva459
Premium Member
Premium Member

Different Versions of DS in Same Domain

Post by shiva459 »

We are in process of finalising the upgrade from 5.2 to 7.5.1 and want to know if the two versions can co-exist on the same Unix server. We want to install new version and import the project from 5.2 export and have to two run parallely until we get comfortable with new version. The problem is we have just on physical Unix box available.Can any one of you let me know from your experiences in past on the feasibility?.

I searched the forum but could not get concrete answer.

Thanks in advance.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Yes, you can run multiple instances of the engine. The keyword to look for is "itag" or "instance tag". You will only be able to run one instance of a 5.x engine on a given server as the multiple engine capability was not present at version 5.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It can be done, and will be handled automatically because the current version is so old. Version 5.2 runs on UniVerse, and has an "itag" of 0xace. DataStage 6.0 and later run on DataStage Engine and has an "itag" of 0xade. Version 5.2's RPC daemon listens on port #31438, while version 6.0 and later RPC daemon listens on port #31538. You'll only run into problems if you want to run UniVerse 10.0 or later as well.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
shiva459
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by shiva459 »

Thank you very much for your reply
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There is a pdf document in your Docs directory that explains the process. It's call 'multiserv.pdf' or something close to that.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Doesn't need it. 5.2 is UniVerse, 7.x isn't. Easy.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.