pl/sql in oracle plugin

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mystuff
Premium Member
Premium Member

pl/sql in oracle plugin

Post by mystuff »

Can we have PL/SQL statements in oracle plugin (in the before button of the plugin)?

Code: Select all

declare
  r_val varchar2(10);
begin
  r_val := ops$oracle.alter_session_set_guard('ENABLE');
  insert into temp_table values (#value1#,#value2#)
end
I am getting this

ORA-06550 error 
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I am afraid not. But you can create a procedure out of your pl/sql and call the stored proc. from within datastage.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
mystuff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mystuff »

I guess this would be a layman question, but what if I use two statements in Before button of oracle plugin (will it work?)

The database is down, so I can't test is as of now.

ops$oracle.alter_session_set_guard('ENABLE'); 
insert into temp_table values (#value1#,#value2#);

We don't have priviledge to create procedures on database, so will there be any alternative?
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Sure. You can wrap your pl/sql in a script and execute that script. This way you can capture your return as well.
I am not sure if multiple commands can be run. I doubt it.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
mystuff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mystuff »

I just tried to execute multiple statements in Before button of oracle plugin and it works :D

How can we call the PL/SQL script from Before button of oracle plugin?

Lets say I have a script abc.pl on unix server. How can I run this on the database?
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

You will have to incorporate that pl/sql script into a shell script, kinda like a "here" script. Search the forum or on the net for examples of an "here".
See this example where Ray describes a "here" script for ftp.
Hemant_Kulkarni
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Hemant_Kulkarni »

I think you can call the pl/sql script using call function

call plsqlfunction(param1,param2) 
mystuff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mystuff »

You will have to incorporate that pl/sql script into a shell script, kinda like a "here" script. Search the forum or on the net for examples of an "here".
I was trying to ftp

ftp ServerName --- of database, which I need to connect

and it errors out as unknown host.

I guess its because we have non-login accounts setup. So in this case I will only have the option to create a stored procedure on the database or ask the dba group to create login account (will they wouldn't for sure).

Am I right?
mystuff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mystuff »

I was trying to ftp

ftp ServerName --- of database, which I need to connect

and it errors out as unknown host.

I guess its because we have non-login accounts setup on the database. So in this case I will only have the option to create a stored procedure on the database or ask the dba group to create login account (which they wouldn't for sure).

Am I right?
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Can you run sqlplus from your datastage server? You should be able to. Run a sqlplus command and excute your query.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What the heck does sqlplus or your database have to do with needing to ftp something? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Actually, the question should have been,
Where the heck did ftp come in from?
This entire thread is to get a pl/sql code working from within datastage. I mentioned a 'here script' and referenced Ray's post where he explains a 'here script' using an ftp example. According to me, thats all that ftp relates to the context of this thread.
I am confused as to why the OP wants to create an ftp connection to talk to the database?
mystuff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mystuff »

sorry about the ftp..... I was thinking, need to connect to that server and thats all used it...
Can you run sqlplus from your datastage server? You should be able to. Run a sqlplus command and excute your query.
yes, I am able to connect from datastage server via sqlplus CLI.

I wrote a script for it sql_script.sh.

How do I call this script from oracle plugin from before SQL?

As the PL/SQL, should be run after connection is made to the database and before select SQL queries are made.

I tried call DSU.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah, ok. You can't do this before sql so put that from your mind. Your two options are before job or before stage and I'd suggest the former.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
mystuff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mystuff »

Ah, ok. You can't do this before sql so put that from your mind. Your two options are before job or before stage and I'd suggest the former.
I need to run this PL/SQL after making the connection to database (i.e. opening the session) and before making and any other(select) SQL queries.

so would the only option is to call a procedure/function using Callfrom the Before of Oracle Plugin.