Is trillium plugin supported in DS 7.5

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

yiminghu
Participant

Is trillium plugin supported in DS 7.5

Post by yiminghu »

Hi,

We are planning to upgrade our DS from 6.0 to 7.5, and we brought in an IBM consultant to show us the new feature of DS7.5. He told me that Datastage 7.5 does not support Trillium plugin anymore, because IBM has bought a company called 'validating'. It's going to use that tool for qualify usage.

Just want to make sure whether this is true or not, can somebody answer that? Thanks a lot,

Carol
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If there is a Trillium plug-in for version 7.5 then it is supported. IBM does not cease support of part of a current product version. Challenge the consultant to provide a statement in writing from IBM that it is no longer supported.

Plug-in stages are written to a consistent API; chances are that you could install the Trillium plug-in into a version 7.5 DataStage project. I don't have one, so can not confirm this statement.

There is no acquisition of which I am aware of a company called "validating". A company called Vality was acquired in about 2002; their product INTEGRITY became QualityStage in version 6.0.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Trillium have an old server edition plugin for DataStage and it's probably compatible with the 7.x releases. The Trillium website also talks about ETL connectors. However the Trillium website claims they are compatible with "IBM Information Integrator (formerly Ascential Data Stage)". Since they get both the old and new names of DataStage wrong I am dubious about the support you would get for this approach. I don't know whether they ever built a parallel job plugin or connector since IBM/Ascential may have stopped cooperating once they bought Vality and turned it into QualityStage. The Trillium plugin is something IBM have purged from all sales material and I've only heard it mentioned by Trillium sales.

You might use this approach if you already had a big investment in Trillium technology but if you were starting out fresh you would be barking mad to match DataStage to Trillium. DataStage and QualityStage 8 is a better ETL and data quality combination than anything else on the market.
yiminghu
Participant

Post by yiminghu »

Thanks for the answer.

The reason I'm asking is that currently we have lots of jobs using Trillium stages such as converter, parser, matcher etc. (the version is 6.X, ), we're trying to upgrade DS from 6.0 to 7.5, not sure whether the trillium stage will still work or not.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well, there's one way to find out - try it and see. :wink:

Or ask your Support provider for a definitive answer one way or the other.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers