Dependencies page in batch job.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kollurianu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Dependencies page in batch job.

Post by kollurianu »

Hi All,

i would like to know how to mention dependencies on the dependencies page , here is the case , i have an existing batch that is running and i would like to run it now only when a particular file is existing ,say abc.dat
only when i run the batch job it should be checking if the file abc.dat is existing in a particular directory or not if not it should fail. I metioned the file name on the dependencies page if the file and file location still it was not making that check , so may be iam missing something , i would like to know if we can implement from dependencies page..

any help , would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.
ds_developer
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds_developer »

I can't say exactly for 8x, but in earlier versions, you are trying to use the Dependencies information incorrectly. The 7.5 Server documentation says:
The Dependencies page specifies any dependencies that the job has. This is to ensure that, if the job is packaged for use on another system, all the required components will be included in the package.
This is for use with the Package Installer. If this job is dependent on an external (non-DataStage) file, like a DLL, then the Package Installer would include the file in the package.

John
kollurianu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kollurianu »

hi ,

I stand corrected , iam on ver 7.5x not on 8x, so would you tell me if we can use that option, if so how ...

Thank you all once again.
sun rays
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by sun rays »

You cannot do that . Use wait for file stage instead.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The Dependencies tab exists only to provide a checklist for promotion.

You should record any routines that a job invokes, or any routines that a routine invokes.

Then, when it comes time to promote from development into test or production, you have a checklist of other components that need to exist in the new environment, or be promoted also.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
47shailesh
Participant

Post by 47shailesh »

What i got frm ur Q is: U want to process the batch job(as it is meant to) if abc.txt is present and abort the job if the file is absent..

than simply append this code at the stating of ur bacth..

OpenSeq "<filepath>" To Temp locked
FilePresent = @True
End Then
FilePresent = @True
End Else
FilePresent = @False
End
IF FilePresent = @False Then
call dslogfatal("Error Reading file")
End

Your job will abort if the file is not found..
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

47shailesh wrote:What i got frm ur Q is: U want
Come on... we're not your bestest l33t buddies on the other end of an IM or text message. This is a support forum for professionals. Seeing as how English isn't the first language of a great many people here, let's take a extra moment to use real words spelled all the way out, please. It's not that onerous...

"What I got from your question is: You want..."

Thank you.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers