Difference between using multiple instance of a job Vs Copy

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

georgesebastian
Participant

Difference between using multiple instance of a job Vs Copy

Post by georgesebastian »

Hi All,

From one of the postings about multiple instance says
"Let us assume you have a simple job that you declare as multi-instance. It accepts a source file name as a parameter and all it does is read the sequential file, perform some transformations onto the data and load it into a database table.
You can start this with one job several times in parallel,each instance using a different parameter value for the source file."

So this means the same job can be used for many number of source files.
My Question is what is the difference between using multiple instance of a job Vs Copy of the same job

Thanks
George
Maveric
Participant

Post by Maveric »

If u want to run the job N number of times simultaneously then u need N copies of the job or one multi instance job with N number of instance IDs and N different inputs. If N is unknown then you wont be able to make enough copies.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The pronoun you're looking for is "you". We have a user registered called "U" who might take offence.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Maveric
Participant

Post by Maveric »

Got used to Short Messaging Service language. I will keep that in mind next time i post. :oops:
georgesebastian
Participant

Post by georgesebastian »

[quote="Maveric"]If u want to run the job N number of times simultaneously then u need N copies of the job or one multi instance job with N number of instance IDs and N different inputs. If N is unknown then you wont be able to make enough copies

Thanks maveric
George