Jobs getting unscheduled.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Ankit
Participant

Jobs getting unscheduled.

Post by Ankit »

We are running Datastage server edition version 7.5.1.A

We schedule all our production datastage inerfaces through Datastage scheduler.

Strangely almost half of the datastage top level batches are getting automatically unscheduled.

Please can anybody suggest the cause or solution to this.

Regards
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

What do you mean by "getting automatically unscheduled"? Does this happen immediately, or after a couple of executions or days? Since DataStage doesn't have its own scheduler you are probably using cron on your system - have you looked at the cron tabs or checked to see if someone is modifying things at a UNIX level?
Ankit
Participant

Post by Ankit »

Our Server lies on Unix OS (HP-UX11.11) so definitely, Cron is being used.
But we schedule the job through Datastage scheduling UI provided in DS director.

We also saw the Cron Tab and the schedule is also no longer visible here as well.
ivannavi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ivannavi »

We saw this happen here too on several occasions. Never investigated it thoroughly, but we suspect it had something to do with people scheduling sequences while logged in with a user other then the one always used for all schedules. Try scheduling everything with only one user, and see what happens.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I would wager that was it as well. Not being 'unscheduled' but you need to realize the schedules are per user and are thus only visible to the user that scheduled them. Check the 'Schedule' option in Director when logged in with a different user and it will show as 'Unscheduled'.

The question is - do they still run when they are supposed to?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ivannavi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ivannavi »

But our jobs became REALY unscheduled! The user who scheduled them could not see the schedules and jobs didn't run! :shock:
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Then you need to investigate. Nothing in DataStage would do that, only a person or some other process would. Start with your SAs, explain the situation to them and see if they have any explanation for it.

I'd also check that they were ever really scheduled properly. I've seen times where the scheduling effort fails silently and thus never 'sticks'. Check back right away and it will still show as unscheduled. Again, for that you'd need to enlist the help of your System Admins.

And keep in mind that only a recurring schedule will end up in cron, for a singleton run a different mechanism is used - 'at'.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Ankit
Participant

Post by Ankit »

We are using the same user for any scheduling or unscheduling purposes i.e. dsadm

I am sure username is not at all a problem.

Moreover it has nothing to do with viewing of schedule, but the schedule completely blows off.

I think it is vital to inform you that we migrated our server from 7.1 to 7.5 almost a month ago, and we did not change any crontab setting during this time.But, the problem seems to be appearing since around that time.

It is informed to me that it first occured just one hour before when we actually started upgrade of the box, i.e. when we were preparing for the file system backups for upgrade.

Presently we are analysing the Crontab Log file.