inter process and intra process

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pavan31081980
Participant

inter process and intra process

Post by pavan31081980 »

What is difference between inter process and intra process stages?Thanks in advance.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Mostly - one of the stages exists, and one of them doesn't. One type only works on SMP systems. :wink:

It's in the documentation, one such place would be under Job Properties.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sun rays
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: inter process and intra process

Post by sun rays »

pavan31081980 wrote:What is difference between inter process and intra process stages?Thanks in advance.
In process uses buffers to pass data between stages, where as interprocess runs a seperate process for each active stage in SMP environment.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The problem with just answering brief questions of this nature from people with low post counts is the very distinct possibility they are just here to farm answers for interview questions. Which is a practice highly frowned upon here. :? <- See, that's me frowning. :wink:

This looks too much like one of those to me. Not saying that's necessarily the case with Pavan, just that the possibility exists so answers are generic and point to documentation. They are free to come back and clarify their question, ground it in more practical terms and how it relates to a specific problem they are working on.

Until then we generally refrain from outright answers. FYI.
-craig

sun rays
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by sun rays »

Thanks Craig ! I will follow the same practice. :)
Last edited by sun rays on Fri May 25, 2007 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

SMP is irrelevant. Both work on a single CPU system.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Come on, it's not irrelevant as in "unrelated to the matter being considered". It may be less relevant than my 'only works on' statement would lead one to believe, that wasn't quite true. :wink: Sure it 'works' on a single CPU system but it is really meant for use on SMP systems. Yes?

And all we're referencing is the online help:

"Inter process. Use this if you are running server jobs on an SMP parallel system. This enables the job to run using a separate process for each active stage, which will run simultaneously on a separate processor."

It's not too hard to infer that there's no benefit per se on a non-SMP server after reading those sentences.
-craig