Problem in sending mail

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mouthou
Participant

Problem in sending mail

Post by mouthou »

Hi everybody,

Is it weird that datastage sends mail with the internal company mail ids but not the external ids' like @yahoo.com, @gmail.com.

When I gave my company id, it works fine. But when I gave id as myid@yahoo.com, it doesnt work. It is giving me error as
"Unable to relay for myid@yahoo.com". Is there any setup needs to be done?

I searched the forum and I found that I need to give the full outlook server name. It doesnt help too. I am still getting the same error. Any advice??

Thanks,
JeroenDmt
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Problem in sending mail

Post by JeroenDmt »

It's probably a limitation on your mailserver, not on Datastage.
Try if you can send an email outside your company from a mail client outside of datastage, but on the same server and see what happens?
Probably you'll get the same error message.
mouthou
Participant

Post by mouthou »

There is no problem in that. I have outlook client on my desktop and I always send mails to my yahoo id without any problem. That is what it makes me to wonder when datastage tries to send mail instruction to outlook server and the mail is not sent though outlook can send mails.

thanks,
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage does not use Outlook; it uses simple mail transfer protocol (SMTP).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
JeroenDmt
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JeroenDmt »

You have to try if you can send an email on the datastage server, not on your client. Also check if the email is send through the same mailserver.

In the Datastage directory for your project, there should be a file dssendmail_template.txt or dssendmail.txt.
There you can see which command Datastage is using to send the email. Maybe that helps you figure out the problem.
mouthou wrote:There is no problem in that. I have outlook client on my desktop and I always send mails to my yahoo id without any problem. That is what it makes me to wonder when datastage tries to send mail instruction to outlook server and the mail is not sent though outlook can send mails.

thanks,
47shailesh
Participant

Post by 47shailesh »

i think ray is correct..

Ask your mail-server/firewall admin, possibilities are there they might be blocking outbound mail traffic from source other than outlook..
klsrao
Participant

Post by klsrao »

It is possible that the mail admin blocking outgoing mail from the packages other than MS Exchange*. Or close all the ports other than MS Exchange is using.

*MS Exchange or any other enterprise mailing system.

Srinivas

mouthou wrote:Hi everybody,

Is it weird that datastage sends mail with the internal company mail ids but not the external ids' like @yahoo.com, @gmail.com.

When I gave my company id, it works fine. But when I gave id as myid@yahoo.com, it doesnt work. It is giving me error as
"Unable to relay for myid@yahoo.com". Is there any setup needs to be done?

I searched the forum and I found that I need to give the full outlook server name. It doesnt help too. I am still getting the same error. Any advice??

Thanks,