How to kill or release a DS job.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Shree0410
Participant

How to kill or release a DS job.

Post by Shree0410 »

Hi,

Few of my jobs are in "use"(accessed by another user) status for more than 2 days.
How to I kill or release them from the DS Administrator?

Please suggest the command.

Thanks
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Please delete your other post in the Site Forum.
As for your query, you can search on it. There are zillions of posts on it, some of which outline the entire step by step process. Make sure you use the id with which the jobs were locked in the first place.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
rafik2k
Participant

Post by rafik2k »

Here is one for u.
viewtopic.php?t=109565

Make sure you have deleted your post :D
Shree0410
Participant

Post by Shree0410 »

I deleted this from Site Forum.

The user-ID used is a common ID for the entire development team.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Make sure you understand that 'release' is a specific operation and not at all related to 'unlocking' a locked job.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Shree0410
Participant

Post by Shree0410 »

Can anyone give a command to kill the job from DS admin?
battaliou
Participant

Post by battaliou »

Shree0410 wrote:Can anyone give a command to kill the job from DS admin?
I doubt it very much. You could try "UNLOCK ALL" but this usually only works in the uv account of datastage. You could possibly knock up a paragraph function here, but its probably out of scope of this discussion.

You need to run the Director, highlight the job that is locked and choose "Job" "cleanup Resources"

Check the "Show All" button in the bottom window pane. This should give you a bunch of process ids including the related process id of the job you wish to kill. Select this process id in the upper pane and choose "Logout". If this fails, try the "Clear Status File" button under "Job". You may have to repeat these steps a few times.

"kill -9 <pid>" will also work at UNIX. You can identify dstage <pid> routine by using "ps -ef | grep ds"
3NF: Every non-key attribute must provide a fact about the key, the whole key, and nothing but the key. So help me Codd.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

From the Administrator client you can issue UNIX commands via the SH verb.

Find the job in status view of Director. Double click to identify the process ID of the job's parent process.

Using ps or any other command, identify the child processes of the job's parent process. Check that none of these has any child processes.

If you can not find any processes associated with the job, then the job itself has been killed, stopped or aborted without the opportunity to update its status table, in which case Clear Status File from Director is really your only option.

Otherwise, kill grandchildren then children (running DSD.StageRun) and only last the job's controlling process (running DSD.RUN) using kill commands. For example SH -c "kill -15 pid"
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.