Hash File stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Ragunathan Gunasekaran
Participant

Hash File stage

Post by Ragunathan Gunasekaran »

Hi ,
The hash file stage's [stage] property page has an option called "Account name ". I dont understand the speciality of the option since the rest of the file stages donot have this option . What is this option used for ?

Simillary on the [Outputs] property page there is an option called "Normalize on" . This too looks strange :roll: I dont understand both of the options .
Please help me in understanding the options.
Regards
Ragu
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What do you know of the MultiValue model (sometimes called non first normal form) for database design? DataStage hashed files (which is how UV tables are implemented) are based on this model; it can contain record types in which other tables (for example collections) can be nested. These can be retrieved using an UNNEST expression, which is what the "Normalize On" control does.

Account may be regarded as a synonym for Project. If the account name is left empty, the current project is used.

By the way, the correct terminology is HASHED file (not hash file).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

In the Hashed File stage, 'Account' can be thought of as synonymous with 'Project'. Blank = the current Project the job is in, so it can typically be left blank when used. There are very few instances where it would be appropriate to set it to specific value, and then you'd probably want to use a job parameter to do so.

The whole concept of the MultiValue model, which Ray has already touched on, and UV tables is an entire college course in itself. Or a career. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers