pros/cons XML

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mystuff
Premium Member
Premium Member

pros/cons XML

Post by mystuff »

I haven't used XML stage until now..

Are there any pros/cons of using XML stage verses sequential file.
a) XML stage have size constraint???? where as sequential file doesnt.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The pros and cons of XML? Sounds like a Roger Waters album. :wink:

I've never pondered it, really. All things have limits but I've only ended up using XML when required to, not because I had a choice in the matter.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Because of the tags, XML files are substantially larger than sequential files for the same volume of data. For that reason I prefer to use the latter.

However, XML can transport the metadata along with the data in the same file, which may prove useful in some circumstances. Apart from that, I think it's really just the latest fad.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Not exactly sure of the nature of your question...are you comparing the Seq Stage vs the XML Stage for reading XML documents? or the merits of using XML at all? That's a huge issue and one that is far bigger than DataStage.....

Ernie
sanjay
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sanjay »

Hi

My client is using XML instead of sequential file . they say information available from xml has more clarity and easier to undertand then sequential file .we use XMLSPY editor to read the file.

Sanjay
eostic wrote:Not exactly sure of the nature of your question...are you comparing the Seq Stage vs the XML Stage for reading XML documents? or the merits of using XML at all? That's a huge issue and one that is far bigger than DataStage.....

Ernie
mystuff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mystuff »

Not exactly sure of the nature of your question...are you comparing the Seq Stage vs the XML Stage for reading XML documents? or the merits of using XML at all? That's a huge issue and one that is far bigger than DataStage.....
Ernie
I wanted to know about limitations while using XML, when compared to sequential Stage.

mentions something about the size limit.

Similary, I wanted to know whether we can deal with dynamic xml files in datastage AND anything else that I need to know.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You can't directly compare the two.

Yes, there is a size limit because of the nature of the 'suck everything into memory to parse' way that XML works, but then you already knew that.

Not sure what 'dynamic' XML files would be, perhaps an explanation of what you mean would be in order.

Lastly, 'anything else that you need to know' will come from experience using the tool and XML, I don't see how anyone can quantify it here for you. :?

"Here kid, here's everything else you need to know. Now just prick your finger and sign on the bottom in blood.". :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
mystuff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mystuff »

I was looking for recommendations on using XML files.

From,

viewtopic.php?t=109773

It appears that,

Recommended ways :

a) below 50MB, 'two field' way works fine (offcourse depends on memory).
b) below 500MB, second methodology, without folder stage.
c) Above 500MB, if other alternatives are available, prefer them.

Can I assume it this way (numbers not being exact).

Thanks
Last edited by mystuff on Tue May 26, 2009 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Yes.. those recommendations are about best methods [where size is your criteria] for reading XML with DataStage, and aren't too bad, +/- the number you choose. With EE, of course, there is no (a) because there is no folder stage.

If you are at option (c), perhaps one should re-examine why the documents are so large....

Ernie