Does anybody know for sure if this exists?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ivannavi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Does anybody know for sure if this exists?

Post by ivannavi »

I wrote to Easysoft:
...we need to read from Excel
files on Unix. So, what we need is an ODBC driver for Excel on Unix.
Could you please advise on which Easysoft product are we looking for.
and they answered:
Sorry Ivan,
I do not know of an ODBC driver that can access Excel files on a Unix box. If the Excel files were on a Windows box, you could use the Easysoft ODBC-ODBC Bridge to access them from your ODBC enabled app on HP-UX.
This is not crucial for me because I can prepare this excel on Windows, turn it into csv or something, ftp it to Unix...

But I'm jus curious! It's hard for me to believe there is no such thing as "ODBC driver for Excel on Unix". I wouldn't like to Google any more if someone here knows. :roll:
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There's no such thing as 'Excel for UNIX' so not sure why there should be an ODBC driver on UNIX for Excel. Besides, they've got to be one of the worst data sources you can use. :wink:

Did you check Data Direct or whatever their name is now for one? Or perhaps Information Builder's iWay software for one of their, what do they call them... Adapters?

Sounded like Easysoft had an answer for you, their 'bridge' product. Was that not something you wanted to pursue?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Nisusmage
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nisusmage »

chulett wrote:There's no such thing as 'Excel for UNIX' so not sure why there should be an ODBC driver on UNIX for Excel. Besides, they've got to be one of the worst data sources you can use. :wink:

Did ...
Why not use .CSV? Excel supports it and so do many OS's.
I don't know too much about "UNIX" ODBC drivers, but I pretty sure UNIX will have a CSV connection for ODBC..

Iagree with Chulett about the "worst data sources", if you don't have to use Excel, don't .. Excel files are desgined for pretty layout and front-end manipulation .. leave it there as a front-end application.
~The simpliest solutions are always the best~
~Trick is to understand the complexity to implement simplicity~
ivannavi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ivannavi »

I totally agree with both of you 8)

As I said before, it was just curiosity. And I do convert that file into .CSV...
mctny
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by mctny »

I also needed a driver in unix for excel last year and there are some drivers for that but it would cost you some money ( Data direct has one for sure) and there are also some open source drivers if you google it you will see, if you are not going to use many many times, I think it is not feasable to buy or to customize the open source drivers for you. I, myself also went with the CSV or converting to text file from excel workaround. because I am sure it would be a hassle to set up those odbc drivers and test it.
Thanks,
Chad