huge RT_LOG

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mystuff
Premium Member
Premium Member

huge RT_LOG

Post by mystuff »

I am having a huge RTLOG file, although I have kept autopurge for every 10 days option.

Why will happen as such and any way to remove it, as its causing space issue.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

RT_LOG will be suffixed by a three digit number. Use that number to find what job it is (use the below query in the Administrator) and then go clear that jobs log from the director.

Code: Select all

SELECT NAME FROM DS_JOBS WHERE JOBNO = 'nnn';
where nnn= your job number
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

But first you need to figure out why it is getting to be 'huge'. Is your job aborting? Keep in mind the fact that aborted jobs don't 'auto-clear' their logs.

Otherwise, the other thing that comes to mind are it must be chocked full of warnings. There's no reason a Server job should ever log a warning, it's a sign of either a flaw in the job's design or a database/tablespace/filespace issue that needs to be resolved. We see this when someone runs a job allowing unlimited warnings because they don't want it to abort - is that what you are doing? :?

If not, please let us know what in the heck you are finding in these huge logs.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
mystuff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mystuff »

I just saw that the job has been deleted from the project. What shall I do in this cae?
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

If the job got deleted then its RT_LOG should have disappeared too. If your wondering whether you can get it back, then the answer is,
"only from a backup", else its gone.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Are you sure it was deleted? Space issues in the DataStage installation filesystem can corrupt everything and make stuff 'disappear'. Search the forum for DS.TOOLS or DS.REINDEX for discussions on rebuilding the repository indices.

Otherwise - Repromote it from Version Control. Reimport using the Manager, either from Dev or a backup. Worst case, you'll need to recreate it.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
mystuff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mystuff »

This job was not part of the design, so I wouldnt be bothered if its gone, We have backup of the job which are part of the design. But the log file from this is creating space problems. (just found from another version, that it gives plenty of warnings)

The RT_LOGnnn is still in there.

when I open the director, it gives an error

DataStage Reporsitory Interface
Failed to open RT_LOGnnn

Or can I use

DELETE FROM VOC WHERE NAME='' 
something like that? I tried using

CLEAR.FILE
but didnt work

I also tried to replace it with new job, with same name. Will it be safe now to use mv command or will it create problems
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Use DS.CHECKER

However, if you have already inflicted damage (like deleting a VOC entry), then DS.CHECKER will not work, and you will need to clear things manually.

Let us know.

Then analyze why the warnings are being generated, and re-design the job with a view to preventing them from occurring. No server job should ever generate a warning unless it is caused by environmental or data factors.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Clear the logs of a few jobs. Make space. The try clearing the RT_LOG of that particular job.