Job locked

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ajongba
Participant

Job locked

Post by ajongba »

Hi I m back again
I have a number of jobs that is run by a sequencer job which again is called by a unix script.As i was checking the jobs individually some of these jobs were found to be locked....I tried freeing it from Datastage Director but it did not worked....
Is there anyother way i can unlock the job

Thanks in advance
Ajong.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Job locked

Post by chulett »

ajongba wrote:I tried freeing it from Datastage Director but it did not worked....
How exactly did you "try freeing"? And what "didn't work" about it?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ajongba
Participant

Post by ajongba »

chulett wrote: How exactly did you "try freeing"? And what "didn't work" about it? ...
I went to the cleanup resource option and tried logging out the particular job but when i do that the status become unavailable but the job is not released.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sometimes it takes more than that. Search for any entries that mention your internal job number - RT_LOGnnn, RT_STATUSnnn, etc. Release those as well.

Code: Select all

SELECT JOBNO FROM DS_JOBS WHERE NAME = 'YourJob';
-craig

ajongba
Participant

Post by ajongba »

chulett wrote:

Code: Select all

SELECT JOBNO FROM DS_JOBS WHERE N ...[/quote]

I did get the internal number and tried clearing that too... but nthing happened...it is still locked.... and i m sorry being a standard member i could not see all the select statement...and where do we use the same... :oops:
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

In the UV prompt from the unix command line (telnet, putty etc.) or DataStage Administrator.
Also, were the jobs locked by your id? If not then you wont be able to 'free' them. Search for DS.TOOLS in the forum, another way of unlocking the jobs.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

In the Administrator. Make sure you 'Show All' in both panes and look very closely for relevant entries.
-craig

ajongba
Participant

Post by ajongba »

chulett wrote:In the Administrator. Make sure you 'Show All' in both panes and look very closely for relevant entries. ...
I did show all in the upper and lower panes at first...I could see the locked jobs....On the upper pane i tried logging out the locked job but did not work...In the lower one inorder to activate the release all option i did show by process and tried that option too ..doesn't seems to be working ... Can we unlock the jobs through Datastage Administrator???
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If these are not your jobs you need to do this as dsadm or root. Or have it done by your Administrator.
-craig

vishnuhpatel
Participant

Post by vishnuhpatel »

ajongba wrote:Hi I m back again
I have a number of jobs that is run by a sequencer job which again is called by a unix script.As i was checking the jobs individually some of these jobs were found to be locked....I tried freeing it from Datastage Director but it did not worked....
Is there anyother way i can unlock the job

Thanks in advance
Ajong.

Simple way is just ask your admin. he can do it easly.
pranabdas
Participant

Post by pranabdas »

Hi,

Go to DataStage Director Job Log. From the Lower pane note down your respective job's process number. Now go to Unix, fire the below mention command from command prompt for each job rather process number.

kill < process number >

I think this will work.

Thanks-
Pranab Das
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Kill is the last resort. I dont think the OP is out of options. Many ways of doing it and a mere search will reveal all the different ways of doing it besides kill.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If the job is being monitored, if the job is being edited, if the job is running; you do not want to unlock anything. The locks are there for a reason.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ajongba
Participant

Post by ajongba »

ray.wurlod wrote:If the job is being monitored, if the job is being edited, if the job is running; you do not want to unlock anything. The locks are there for a reason. ...
How do we know that...the description in the director does not show anything like it is running or being monitoredor being edited.... please guys show me a way out of this.......Maybe at in the end i might have to kill the process.... please suggest
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The status that you see in the Director (status view or monitor) is a report from a table as at the most recent time that the job updated the table.

If the job has subsequently hung, aborted or been killed, the status is likely to show Running forever, until you might clear the status file.

Any running job will have a process on the operating system that is executing uvsh (or dssh). The remainder of this command line will identify which job is running. Beware that most jobs - those with active stages - will have child processes - if you kill the job process, the child processes turn into zombies, which are very difficult to kill.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.