will space be used for extract job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mystuff
Premium Member
Premium Member

will space be used for extract job

Post by mystuff »

Hi,

I have a small question,

If we have,

Code: Select all

Source Database ---> Transformer ----> Sequential File

a) Will this consume memory space - I guess yes
b) Will this consume disk space (apart from sequential file) - like the sort stage uses disk space
mctny
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: will space be used for extract job

Post by mctny »

mystuff wrote:Hi,

I have a small question,

If we have,

Code: Select all

Source Database ---> Transformer ----> Sequential File

a) Will this consume memory space - I guess yes
b) Will this consume disk space (apart from sequential file) - like the sort stage uses disk space
a) while running the job , yes
b) yes, any job, regardless of what's inside, consume disk space.
Thanks,
Chad
Premium Member

Post by mystuff »

I thought that disk space will be used only when memory space is not available (full)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The sequential file will, of course, be written to disk and consume disk space.

Depending on the extraction SQL, the database stage may need to use paging space.

The Transformer stage ought not to use any disk space, unless you invoke routines that explicitly use disk space.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mystuff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mystuff »

I am not using any transformations in the transformer and the sequential file is place in a directory other than where datastage is installed. So I guess I need not worry about disk space in this case, is it???

Its only the memory space I would need to think. How can we know the memory space on the server, can we know from client machine or we need to ask systems administrator regarding it.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

How long is a piece of string? How complex are your transformations? If you're doing none, memory demand will be negligible, estimate as the size of your buffer sizes times the number of links. If you're not using buffers, estimate as the size of a row per link.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.