Using the FTP plugin stage on a GPG encrypted file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ggarze
Premium Member
Premium Member

Using the FTP plugin stage on a GPG encrypted file

Post by ggarze »

Anyone ever have any success using the ftp plugin stage to ftp a gpg encrypted file in a server job? It looks like it works but when we try to open it we receive errors like, "No gpg encryption characters to decrypt." So, something is getting corrupt in the FTP. I've tried sending it binary as well with no luck.

I have used, successfully, a third party FTP client and wrapped it in a before/after function so it could be used in a sequencer through a 'routine activity' stage, but was wondering if it can be done in a server job.

Thanks
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

The ftp might be succesfull but you need to decrypt the file before being able to read it. Are you just trying to view the encrypted file?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ggarze
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ggarze »

No, we are trying to decrypt it. Does this mean you successfully used the FTP plugin to ftp an encrypted file?
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I have never tried it. But I dont see why it wont be able to transfer properly in binary mode. But definately you wont be able to view it without decryption. That goes without say. Try decrypting the file.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

If you do not want to land the data unencrypted then you create your own stage type and pipe the data through the command to decrypt then transform it and pipe it back through the encryption process before outputing it.

Is your encryption PGP or GPG?
Mamu Kim
ggarze
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ggarze »

It's GPG. It's definitely something with the encryption. We emailed the encrypted file and the user was able to unencrypt and view. We then tried to FTP and the user was not able to unencrypt.

kduke - I'm not sure I follow. I am creating the file, encrypting it, and sending it off. I don't understand why I would need to unencrypt it, transform it and then encrypt again. As far as landing it do you mean on the server or landing it on another machine via the ftp?