Ouput to Excel on Multiple Sheets

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

parag.s.27
Participant

Post by parag.s.27 »

chulett wrote:I'm not suggest you have to do it. 'Get' as in 'make arrangements with whomever manages the server' to have the DSN created.
Craig the information regarding server management is not available from Client even on special request.Besides even if we manage to get one off approvals it will only help in creating only 1 DSN.The same problem will start once we want to develop a new job or something like that.Hence was wanting to know if some has achieved a work around to this.
Thanks & Regards
Parag Saundattikar
Certified for Infosphere DataStage v8.0
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

Dear Mr. Saundattikar,

lets perhaps start by what you finaly want and not by the way you do it.

You are standing on one side of the river and ask us what is the best boat to cross the river and we are sugesting boat.

Why don't you want to use the bridge.

So tell me what you finaly want as result and I tell you the best way to achiev it.
Wolfgang Hürter
Amsterdam
parag.s.27
Participant

Post by parag.s.27 »

WoMaWil wrote:So tell me what you finaly want as result and I tell you the best way to achiev it.
Dear WoMaWil,what i want is output to Excel file on Multiple sheets.i.e i have source extract containing data about multiple instances of data and what i want is that after transformation the the output should be in the form of an Excel with the ouput of one instance on one sheet of Excel.
Members here suggested using an ODBC stage to do this,but this cannot be used by me because the DSServer and the Client are on Different machines and we donot have access to Server.Hence we cannot possibly get a DSN created.so this is the problem getting output on multiple excel sheets without using a DSN.
But,we have managed to find a solution to this problem but the DS Purist may not like it entirely. What we do is create and single ouput file which contains data sorted according to instances and use a Excel MACRO to split the file onto different sheets.In the job when data regarding one instance is over we insert a special string ,which the macro uses to split data onto multiple sheets. i know this is not the best way ,but had to find a workaround somehow to this problem.
Thanks everyone for the help on this topic.
Thanks & Regards
Parag Saundattikar
Certified for Infosphere DataStage v8.0
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I say its one of the best. :wink:
Don't sweat on 'the best way to do it'. You got a piece working with good logic. Good job.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.