reading data from Execl file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sri75
Premium Member
Premium Member

reading data from Execl file

Post by sri75 »

HI,

I saved excel file as CSV file and reading it from sequential file stage

I got below error

test_excel..Sequential_File_0.DSLink5: read_delimited() - row 38, column ENDDATE, required

I checked 38 th record in the file.there is no value in the last column 'ENDDATE'.
when I add the value to this column , it worked fine.

also I checked some other record , it also doesn't have the value for the last column, but it didn't give any error.
Do I need to take care of this column in sequential file or in original excel file.I think our client entered values in these files manually

Please help me

Thanks
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Thats the problem with excel sheets. If nothing is entered in the column, while the export to csv, you wont see the last column. Try with different setting of "Incomplete Column" for the last column in the column's tab of the sequntial file stage. That should do the trick.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
mctny
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: reading data from Execl file

Post by mctny »

Another advise would be add a dummy column as a last column in your spreadsheet write a value in it and copy to all the other rows. when you read the file you can ignore this last column or you can drop it in the first transformer in your job. that will help also for a lot of other problems you might accross in reading sequential files.
Thanks,
Chad
Premium Member

Post by sri75 »

Hi DsGuru adn Cetin

both 'settings of 'incomplete coulmn' and adding dummy column to the files worked fine.

Thanks for your suggestions
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Adding a dummy column is manual work and may not work while automating your process. A food for thought :wink:
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ganesh123
Participant

Post by ganesh123 »

Time to mark your topic RESOLVED
If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning.
-- Aristotle Onassis