Hash file or indexed tables ?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hamzaqk
Participant

Hash file or indexed tables ?

Post by hamzaqk »

Hi, working on DS 7.x . whats the need to use Hash files for joins when we can do the same with tables ? and if it is about hashing which makes it faster. in Teradata you can hash the key columns .... so when to choose what ? and why prefer hashfiles over indxed tables to carry out a join of the sequential file on the base table .

Thanks !
rkdatastage
Participant

Post by rkdatastage »

Hi
The advantage of using hashed file is that it will be stored in the server where the DS server is running . The turnaround time to read and write will be faster than reading/writing the data to database.
Added to this there are some more advantages using Hashed File.
Any one correct me if i am wrong .

Thanks
Ravi
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Also takes the load off your database server.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's possibly even better than being local; DataStage hashed files can be cached in memory, so that the fast key-based access (via the hashing algorithm) is at least three orders of magnitude faster than disk-based access.

In DataStage the term is "hashed" file, not "hash" file.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.