Using the delimiter character (ý) in sequential

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srimitta
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by srimitta »

Can you forward (Paste) some sample records?
mouthou
Participant

Post by mouthou »

[quote="srimitta"]Can you forward (Paste) some sample records?[/quote]

Please see how the records were created though I gave a different delimiter.. Copied 4 records from my output file.

A*INV_DOC*RECEIVING*WHSE_TO_STORE*1*00002388**IN_TRANSIT******WAREHOUSE**2002-10-15*******************
A*INV_DOC*RECEIVING*WHSE_TO_STORE*1*00002389**IN_TRANSIT******WAREHOUSE**2002-10-15*******************
A*INV_DOC*RECEIVING*WHSE_TO_STORE*1*00002599**IN_TRANSIT******WAREHOUSE**2004-10-15*******************
A*INV_DOC*RECEIVING*WHSE_TO_STORE*1*00002600**IN_TRANSIT******WAREHOUSE**2004-10-29*******************
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Char(248) through Char(255) are reserved characters in DataStage; they are the dynamic array delimiter characters.

You are wise not to use them for any other purpose in server jobs.

Pre-process your source file to replace any character in this range with a suitable equivalent, perhaps from Control Set 0 (Char(1) through Char(31)).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mouthou
Participant

Post by mouthou »

[quote="ray.wurlod"]Char(248) through Char(255) are reserved characters in DataStage; they are the dynamic array delimiter characters.

You are wise not to use them for any other purpose in server jobs.

Pre-process ...[/quote]

Ray,

I am wondering how another datastage user (srinitta) was able to use the character as the delimiter without any problems. If you see the post above, she mentioned it. Is there any reason why it doesnt work for my version?

Thanks,
bharathappriyan
Participant

Post by bharathappriyan »

Try with &Hfd as delimiter in the target sequential file stage
mouthou
Participant

Post by mouthou »

[quote="bharathappriyan"]Try with &Hfd as delimiter in the target sequential file stage[/quote]

It is really a surprise for me why it doesnt work in my case.

I am still getting the same compilation warning and the same output..

A*INV_DOC*RECEIVING*WHSE_TO_STORE*1*00002388**IN_TRANSIT******WAREHOUSE**2002-10-15*****12345**************
A*INV_DOC*RECEIVING*WHSE_TO_STORE*1*00002389**IN_TRANSIT******WAREHOUSE**2002-10-15*******************

Thanks everybody for trying. I really appreciate it. I may have report this to IBM.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I did not say impossible, I said unwise.

Use a hex editor (for example UltraEdit or filepeek) to convince us that the delimiter characters are indeed 253.

Please advise whether you have DataStage NLS enabled. If you do, then the "true" ASCII codes 248 through 255 may be being remapped to the Unicode private use area.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mouthou
Participant

Post by mouthou »

[quote="ray.wurlod"]I did not say impossible, I said unwise.

Use a hex editor (for example UltraEdit or filepeek) to convince us that the delimiter characters are indeed 253.

Please advise whether you have DataStag ...[/quote]

Ray,

I dont quite understand when you said confirming the characters as 253 only. I am setting 253 as the delimiter. Datastage itself is resisting to have that character as the delimiter and converting the 253 to *. Hence the benefit of checking the file using an hex editor is very minimal.

Thanks,
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Use a hex editor on your source data. Or you only trying to create a target file with 253 as the delimiter?

Please advise whether you have DataStage NLS enabled and, if so, what map is being specified for the Sequential File stage.
mouthou
Participant

Post by mouthou »

[quote="ray.wurlod"]Use a hex editor on your source data. Or you only trying to create a target file with 253 as the delimiter?

Please advise whether you have DataStage NLS enabled and, if so, what map is being speci ...[/quote]

Yes, the source data is from the table. I am using the delimiter only when I am creating the files. NLS may help in our case. But as I checked, NLS was not enabled during our installation. I am contacting the admin to work upon it.

Thanks,
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You have misunderstood my intent. If you don't have NLS enabled, that's one less possible cause for the problem. Leave it disabled until you can solve the handling of 253 without it.

Can you please list ALL of the values from the Format tab of the Sequential File stage that writes this file?