job debugging

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kripakrish
Premium Member
Premium Member

job debugging

Post by kripakrish »

Hi all
I am a data stage newbie .I have been going through the forum(It is very very helpful) and running sample jobs. I came across the @false constraint technique to identify bottlenecks.Are there any other methods of conditional link execution.
Note: If I am not clear like in C we have #Ifdef and #ifndef similarly if I have to execute selected links what are the possible methods?
Last edited by kripakrish on Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I am confused. The phenomenon your are mentioning in C is during coding. You cannot code like that within constraints and stage variables. In a basic routine you have $DEFINE, $IFDEF, $ENDIF etc. which are listed in the BASIC.pdf that gets shipped with the product. You can go through it. If you expect a different answer, please clarify your question.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kripakrish
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kripakrish »

Sorry If I was not clear. I am trying to debug if the problem is with data base or data stage right, then in the transformer I use @flase constraint only to extract data and not further down the job. My question is how can i selectively disable few links (in passive stages) to identify bottle necks.
Hope I am clear. Any other debugging methods appreciated.

Thanks
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

You can build a portion, test it, build another portion, test it. What exactly is the bottleneck. Share your design and system info with us. What you are trying to do etc.
You cannot selectively disable links and stages, other than sending nothing down a stream, using @FALSE constraint.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kripakrish
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kripakrish »

Thanks for response.
Today I was able to identify the problem with my job using @false technique in transformer.I found it useful.So I want to know more such techniques of debugging server jobs. (like debugging job best practices).It will be helpful as i am a beginner with data stage.

Also I was expecting your customary welcome as this is my first post! :)
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

DSguru2B wrote:You cannot selectively disable links and stages, other than sending nothing down a stream, using @FALSE constraint.
Sure you can! Think job parameters. One per link or situation, setting it to true or false, yes or no - whatever makes sense to you.

Then add it to your constraint - blab blah blah AND LINK2_ON = 'Y'.

All kinds of ways.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Execution cannot be disabled, it can be constrained using a bunch of ways, including ones you mentioned. But it will be executed. Its not synonymous to C's #Ifdef and #ifndef.
kripakrish
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kripakrish »

Thanks Craig I would have never thought of it.Thanks dsguru for reply

Constrained vs executed...ah now I am getting the difference.I . Can you please share how to constraint data flow in a job? If we can add to the list it will be useful for other newbies
1. @false in transformer
2. Job parameters and enable/disable them in various branch paths