Reset the Job status

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Ashish
Participant

Reset the Job status

Post by Ashish »

HI ,

I have a job which has been crashed the status in the director is showing running , I have tried stopping the job in many ways--

1) From the director
2) From Command prompt Dsjob-stop
3) Killing the process in unix
4) shutdown the datastage server and restarted but the job is still running.
5) I went into the job menu in the director but clear status file option is not available as the job is still running...I want to compile this job and run

can any one have better ideas to stop the job or any one know where the log file written in the server directory.

I would appreciate any suggestions...

Thanks
Ashish Arora
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What makes you so sure that the job is still running?

What Director's status view is reporting is the last time the job reported its status back to the status table. If it had been killed without the opportunity to update the status table, there's no way that the Director can read any other status than "running".

Use the "Clear Status File" tool in Director to reset the status table (which is actually a hashed file).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Reset the Job status

Post by chulett »

Ashish wrote:5) I went into the job menu in the director but clear status file option is not available as the job is still running...
No such... it is always available regardless of status, which is why it does the 'Are you really sure you want to do this?' stuff.

You have to 'Enable job administration in Directory' for the Project in the Administrator for those options to be enabled.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Also make sure directory &PH& is kept in check as that can reciprocate with slower response times. And basically clear the status file and keep the log file in check as well.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
RodBarnes
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Reset the Job status

Post by RodBarnes »

chulett wrote:
Ashish wrote:5) I went into the job menu in the director but clear status file option is not available as the job is still running...
No such... it is always available regardless of status, which is why it does the 'Are you really sure you want to do this?' stuff.

You have to 'Enable job administration in Directory' for the Project in the Administrator for those options to be enabled.
I agree but I actually have the same situation right now. I have a job with running status which, when selected, the "Clear status" option is disabled. When I select another job, the option is enabled.

I have the "Enable job administration..." option set for all my projects.

Ideas?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You might need to contact Support on that one. It's not a phenomena that I recall every seeing. :?

Unless someone else has and knows the reason why?
-craig

RodBarnes
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by RodBarnes »

I did find this article in the Ascential KB that recommends one solution: https://www.ascential.com/eservice/know ... =T30760501

Going to give it a try....
RodBarnes
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by RodBarnes »

Just noticed that the item marked as running is an instance (uses an invocation id). When I select the job itself, "Clear status" is enabled. It is only when I select the instance of the job that "Clear status" is disabled. That makes sense...

So, I should just be able to delete this instance and move on, right?
RodBarnes wrote:I did find this article in the Ascential KB that recommends one solution: https://www.ascential.com/eservice/know ... =T30760501

Going to give it a try....
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That helps explain what's going on, but that being said I don't have that issue with multi-instances jobs - they still show the 'Clear status' option as enabled for me.

If you do the 'Clear' from the main job itself, all of the 'instance' information will be removed. If nothing is actually running, I'd say that should be the tack you take.
-craig