problem in inserts

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

47shailesh
Participant

problem in inserts

Post by 47shailesh »

:?: :?:
i have designed a job to insert a data into a table:

the problem that i face is that it displaying error "non- numeric found where numeric expected".. i m stucked up there...

even the i have to set the date column as varchar else it is displaying error..

i have column types as decimal and varchar(including 2 column which shoud be date but..)...

i have used nvl to set date 31-dec-9999 where ever it encounters null.

not a single column is inserted and all the error are same that i have mentioned.

why DS is not taking date as date?
why i have to delclare it varchar?

:(

please anybody help me in this context
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

What are the error messages? Can you copy paste them here as you see in your log file.
Is your target oracle? If yes then change the date format to YYYY-MM-DD using iconv/oconv and send it in as date. The insert will put a TO_DATE() function itself. You can verify that by reviewing the sql.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
jseclen
Participant

Re: problem in inserts

Post by jseclen »

Hi, i had a similar error when insert record in oracle database, this error ocurrs when my field content a diferent date format with the db. You must to verify the database format and formatting your field in the transformer.

Field Date_F = '01/03/2007' (my field)
BD Date_F = '01-MAR-07' (db field )

i change the datatype for the target to varchar, to support the new value for my field.

try this solution.

MS.
Saludos,

Miguel Seclén
Lima - Peru
47shailesh
Participant

error log

Post by 47shailesh »

Transformer_0: ORA-01858: a non-numeric character was found where a numeric was expected.

in additio can you help me understandand how to use iconv/oconv with some example.
swades
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by swades »

Here it is

....there are more
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: error log

Post by chulett »

47shailesh wrote:Transformer_0: ORA-01858: a non-numeric character was found where a numeric was expected.
:? Tha'ts not an error I would expect to come from a problem with a DATE field. Dollars to doughnuts it's coming from a different field you are populating - one defined as a NUMBER of some precision.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
47shailesh
Participant

Re: error log

Post by 47shailesh »

chulett wrote:
47shailesh wrote:Transformer_0: ORA-01858: a non-numeric character was found where a numeric was expected.
:? Tha'ts not an error I would expect to come from a problem with a DATE field. Dollars to doughnuts it's coming from a different field you are populating - one defined as a NUMBER of some precision.
thanks Sir that was the prob.. i overlooked it.. got it solved...