Scheduling

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Saama
Premium Member
Premium Member

Scheduling

Post by Saama »

Hi Gurus,

I have never done scheduling, can any one help me out with the steps involved in scheduling datastage jobs using unix utilities like corn tab utility.

cheers;
Saama
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

First off, you've marked your Server OS as 'Windows' in your post, is it really on UNIX? In any case, 'scheduling' is handled automatically by the Director tool. All you need to do is 'Add to Schedule' and it will create the appropriate entries for cron or at for your job.

For UNIX, you will need to ensure the user used to do the scheduling is in the 'cron.allow' and 'at.allow' files. If you have permissions problems trying to schedule jobs, talk to your SA and ask to be added to those files.

ps. The native scheduler on UNIX is 'cron' and it stores schedule information in 'crontab' files. One word. And not the vegetable. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

:lol: I dunno. The "corn" scheduler would explain many things...
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Saama
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Saama »

Hi Gurus,
Thanks very much.But what abt the dsexecute() function.

Why is this used.In what way is this useful in scheduling the jobs.

Can anyone help me out.

cheers;
Saama
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Read about DSExecute() in help. Its not used to schedule anything. Its usage is as defined in its help. A lot of topics around that function on this website. Search for specific examples for a better understanding.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.