Migraton ISSUE

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

devilsmentor
Participant

Migraton ISSUE

Post by devilsmentor »

hi all,
i am having a strange problem when moving my job from one environment to other. The password is set as global variable #$P_Tgt_Password#. when i move the job, and try to view data i get an error message "invalid username/password". If i delete the variable from job parameters and insert it again by choosing "Add environment Varable", it runs fine again. I dont have to edit the variable, all i have to do is delete and re-insert it which is quite not good. Can anyone help on this plz. Thanks.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Thats odd. What version of DataStage are you using? Sounds like a bug.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
devilsmentor
Participant

Post by devilsmentor »

DSguru2B wrote:Thats odd. What version of DataStage are you using? Sounds like a bug.

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is there a "$" or a "#" in the password itself?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
devilsmentor
Participant

Post by devilsmentor »

ray.wurlod wrote:Is there a "$" or a "#" in the password itself? ...

no the password has no special characters. its a string.
ds_developer
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds_developer »

I just want to clarify one thing - View Data does not use user defined environment variables well. You have to type in the values when it prompts, you can't just use $PROJ_DEF. Later in the posting you said you ran the job - that will use the environment variable's value.

Just making sure we are comparing apples to apples.

John
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

ds_developer wrote:View Data does not use user defined environment variables well. You have to type in the values when it prompts, you can't just use $PROJ_DEF.
Thats why I asked for DataStage version. They fixed that in 7.5 and the OP is on 7.5.1, so that should not be an issue.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
devilsmentor
Participant

Post by devilsmentor »

DSguru2B wrote:
ds_developer wrote:View Data does not use user defined environment variables well. You have to type in the values when it prompts, you can't just use $PROJ_DEF.
Thats why I asked for DataStage version. They fixed that in 7.5 and the OP is on 7.5.1, so that should not be an issue.
hey brian (if that's ur name ;)),
do you mean to say, Ascential has this bug in their previous releases. If so i can post this issue to them. And i would love to do that.

And John,
My variables dont prompt me for inputs as i use $PROJDEF. else how can the jobs run on their own, they will be prompting me for inputs everytime i run. And as per comparing apples to apples, both the times i view data...to make it less of effort.

Also, i would like to know if any of you guys faced or heard of this issue before.
And thanks to all for the responses, please keep them comin ... thanks
ds_developer
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds_developer »

I don't know what was fixed in 7.5, but I'm on 7.5.2 and View Data using $PROJDEF still does not get the value from the project.

John
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

ds_developer wrote:I don't know what was fixed in 7.5, but I'm on 7.5.2 and View Data using $PROJDEF still does not get the value from the project.
I should not have said fixed. Its more like an enhancement. Check gateley's reply in thispost for confirmation. View data does work in 7.5 and higher versions with $PROJDEF.

As per the OP's experience with this behaviour, it might be a bug. Give support a call and see what they have to say.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I can't check at the moment. My experience is that $PROJDEF works in 7.5.1A for string parameters, but I wonder is this also the case for encrypted parameters?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.