Loading the Target

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rajeevm
Participant

Loading the Target

Post by rajeevm »

Hi All,

I am trying to load the Target table as I have one column in the source which is a combination of Numeric and alphabetical data i.e letters and numbers but i wanted to load in the target as letters should load into letter column and the numbers would go into number column

I have tried alpha function but still i am getting warnings saying that non numeric data is entered when numeric required.

As my source column also has B- ,B+, A - and so on

How would I handle this

Please provide your valuable inputs.

Thanks
us1aslam1us
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by us1aslam1us »

The warning indiactes that you are forcing a non-numeric data into a numeric field. What is the DataType for those two columns and what functions you are using for tranformations?
I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
Thomas Alva Edison(1847-1931)
ds_developer
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds_developer »

For numbers I would remove the plus "+" sign and any spaces. I've never tried loading a trailing negative sign so you might have to detect it, remove it then use the NEG() function (or move it to the front of the number).

Since you start with a string, there is always the possibility of non-printable characters (carriage return, tabs, linefeeds, etc.) that won't convert to numeric. You'd have to remove those too.

I would suggest adding a reject file on your job so you can look at the data that doesn't get loaded.

John
Last edited by ds_developer on Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Madhusv
Participant

Post by Madhusv »

For Alpha:
Convert('<Enter all other Non-Alpha characters> ','',FieldName)

For Non-Alpha :
Convert('<Enter all Alpha Characters>','',FieldName)

Thanks,
Madhu
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Use DIGITS() to extract all numbers from alpha-numeric data and LETTERS() or ALPHA() one of those I believe (cant remember exactly) for alphabets.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
rajeevm
Participant

Post by rajeevm »

hi dsguru2b ,

there is no digits function in the i have checked please tell me syntax of that function

thanks
rajeevm
Participant

Post by rajeevm »

i have datatypes as letter column as varchar and the number column as decimal . but in the source it is varchar
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Its a transform functioin. Its syntax is exactly what I gave you.

Code: Select all

DIGITS(in.Col)
where in.Col is your incoming column.
You can also use OCONV with MCN.

OCONV(in.Col, "MCN")
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
rajeevm
Participant

Post by rajeevm »

Hi DSguru,

I have tried by using LETTERS and DIGITS transform functions , but here is my doubt i have apart from alphabetic and numeric fields coming from the source but also the source table has something like A+ ,A- ,B+ B- but these are not loading into the target .

What could be done to capture the letters having +,- atlast

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

If thats the case then use EREPLACE() or convert() to replace all alphabets for so called numeric fields and replace all numbers for strings that dont require numbers.
rajeevm
Participant

Post by rajeevm »

I did not get your point please elaborate it .

what exactly you want me to do ? I am fine with the letters an ddigits functions inspite of that wht else i need to add
to the transformer stage

Thanks
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Ok now your confusing me, I thought that you wanted to capture other characters like (-) and (+) etc. Isnt that the case?
Once again, for only extracting numerics use

DIGITS(in.Col) 
OR
OCONV(in.Col, "MCN") 
for only alphabets use

LETTERS(in.Col)
OR
OCONV(in.Col, "MCA") 

If you want everything except numerics then use

OCONV(in.Col, "MC/N") 
This is what will get you A- and A+

And at last, if you need everything except alphabets then use

OCONV(in.Col, "MC/A") 
Forget the EREPLACE() or CONVERT() functions.
rajeevm
Participant

Post by rajeevm »

Hi DSguru,

I am not confusing you just let me be clear with this

I have a source column which is a combination of A,A+,B,B-,A- , C,D,E,S,U, 0,1,2,3,5,10,20,25,30,99,100 and I have two columns in the target which are letter and Number , the letters from the source should go into the letter column and the numbers alltogether into the Number column . But for the letters its not only A,B,C,D,E,U,S the target should also have A+,B-,A-,B+ etc . for that I am using the functions mentioned by you . when i ran the job and view the data i could not able to see the A+,A-,B-,B+ etc., how do i capture this in the target column .

I think i am clear now .

Please suggest me the valuable inputs.

Thanks
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

OCONV(in.Col, "MC/N") 
Use the above for alphabet column. This will give you A-, B+ etc.

OCONV(in.Col, "MCN") 
Use the above for numeric field. This will give you only numbers.