Project Permissions on AIX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DKostelnik
Participant

Project Permissions on AIX

Post by DKostelnik »

Greetings!

I have a couple of ETL Developers that are apparently stepping on each others projects. Developer A wants to make sure Developer B can look at his jobs, but not modify them unless it is exported from Developer A's project into Developer B's project.

The directory level security on the individual projects is setup as RW for the owner R Group and R for Other. If I create a file from the command line, the permissions are set correctly for the file (-rw-r--r--).

However, when a job is created through DataStage, the permissions come out more global (Directories: drwxrwxr-x Files:-rw-rw-r--). We don't want write permissions on Group.

The umask is set to 027 which means permissions for a new
directory: rwxr-x--- or file: rw-r----- .

I am guessing that DataStage is manipulating the permissions, but I don't know how or why. Anyone have any clues?
Doug
AAA Auto Club Group
Listen to:
Porcupine Tree
Nosound
Days Between Stations
Madhusv
Participant

Post by Madhusv »

From Datastage Administrator you can set up the roles like "Developer", "Operator" etc.

Log into the administartor and click on the project you have to change permissions, then Properties->Permissions.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You DO want write permission on group.

You DO want different groups for different projects, and you want to make sure that the two developers are only in the right group. In dsenv and the users' profiles, make sure that umask is set to 002.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DKostelnik
Participant

Post by DKostelnik »

Madhusv wrote:From Datastage Administrator you can set up the roles like "Developer", "Operator" etc.

Log into the administartor and click on the project you have to change permissions, then Properties->Permissions.
Yes, I it setup that way. The problem is the developers fall into one security group, which means they have access to all the different projects. It is the way AIX (UNIX) security is being set for the files in the projects that is mucking everything up.
Doug
AAA Auto Club Group
Listen to:
Porcupine Tree
Nosound
Days Between Stations
DKostelnik
Participant

Post by DKostelnik »

ray.wurlod wrote:You DO want write permission on group.

You DO want different groups for different projects, and you want to make sure that the two developers are only in the right group. In dsenv and the users' p ...
Ratz, I only have standard access to the form so your message was cut off. Each developer has his own project and does not share it with anyone, so if I can get the AIX system programmer to assign each ETL Developer a different default group, perhaps that will work...
Doug
AAA Auto Club Group
Listen to:
Porcupine Tree
Nosound
Days Between Stations
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That is essentially what I suggested. :D
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DKostelnik
Participant

Post by DKostelnik »

ray.wurlod wrote:That is essentially what I suggested. :D ...
Cool! Thank you! :D
Doug
AAA Auto Club Group
Listen to:
Porcupine Tree
Nosound
Days Between Stations