Conditional Schedulling through DS Director

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Amit_111
Participant

Conditional Schedulling through DS Director

Post by Amit_111 »

I have two Job Sequencers(Say 'SEQ1' and 'SEQ2') which I will execute through the Scheduler in the DS Director. But the

Condition is that I want to schedule the start of execution of the second sequencer 'SEQ2' only after the first sequencer is executed completely. I tried to find out such Conditional scheduling in director but invain. Is such kind of Conditional Schedulling possible through the scheduler in datastage director??
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There's no such thing. However... there is a simple answer. :wink:

Create YASJ - Yet Another Sequence Job. Have it run SEQ1 and then SEQ2. Schedule the new job.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Amit_111
Participant

Post by Amit_111 »

Thanks....the question was tough but the answer was really simple...thanks once again... :wink:
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Such a thing is possible with an enterprise scheduler such as ControlM or Tivoli.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Amit_111
Participant

Post by Amit_111 »

Yes...but our client wants to use us only Datastage for all the requirements and nothing else....thats the reason searching all things in DS only
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

O thats fine. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents by letting you know that such a thing is possible with enterprise schedulers.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

Amit_111 wrote:Thanks....the question was tough but the answer was really simple...thanks once again... :wink:
Not tough, really!!

Yet another way is to schedule both sequences with a reasonable time gap. Once SEQ1 completes, execute a job that dumps a file into some directory. SEQ2, however, starts with a Wait-For-File activity (waiting for the file to be created by SEQ1). As soon as it finds it, delete it (or move it to some other directory) and trigger the rest of SEQ2.

Could be helpful in case your sequence jobs are in different projects.

gateleys
Amit_111
Participant

Post by Amit_111 »

Looks great Gateleys...I will surely give it a try and let you know.......Also thanks DSGuru.....I will suggest my client regarding these ideas so as to ease things lets see how much I succeed :)