Running Jobs in two seperate Projects

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Running Jobs in two seperate Projects

Post by DeepakCorning »

Can a Sequence activity call a job in a different project in the same server , i know I can do it with BAT file or CMD line etc. but just want to know whether its directly possible or not.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It is not possible with a Job activity.

It is, of course, possible with an Execute Command activity.

But why?!!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DeepakCorning »

Why ? - Requirement - customer wants two different projects (each containing a particular set of jobs to be in there) and then wants to schedule them together. So I was just curious whether its possible without a BAT file or not.
Thanks For the reply.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

But why not via a bat file or command line dsjob?
Or, keep seperate sequences and then schedule them one after the other. That is certainly doable.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Why does customer want two separate projects?

Why does the "solution" not involve scheduling the job in the two separate projects (for example from a third party scheduling tool) rather than forcing DataStage to do a job that it is not designed to do?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DeepakCorning »

Ray , I have suggested , but these things are not in my control.. I could have decided and designed it looong back :cry: :D
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

They ARE in your control. You are there as the (senior?) DataStage developer. Push back when the requirements are silly and solvable by sensible means.