Insert / Update records LDAP - DataStage v.8.0

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gomez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Insert / Update records LDAP - DataStage v.8.0

Post by gomez »

Hi:
I read DataStage 8.0 services provides complete connectivity to LDAP viewtopic.php?t=96758&highlight=ldap

Can someone please elaborate on that?
Right now I am able to read data from LDAP. We are also looking at insert/updates on LDAP using DataStage. I still havent found a way to do that. Appreciate any help on this

Thanks
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

How are you reading it? Is it a direct connection or via Sql Server linked server? I read data from Active directory using ldap calls but by setting up a linked server. Never tried writing to it. I would be interested in the resolution though.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Ok. I got curious and did some research. It turns out your cannot do ADSI calls like LDAP for INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE DML's. Only select is allowed. This is ofcourse if you are using Linked Server which apparantly you are by your other post.
My Reference.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
gomez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gomez »

Thanks DSGuru2B for researching on this. I came to know we can do writes using ADAM. I am yet to read about it fully though.

I am not even sure right now if I can use SQL queries with ADAM or use command line functions to work. Has anyone come across this?

Appreciate any clue on this!

Thanks
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

As long as you can deploy it as a stand alone, you will be fine.
gomez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gomez »

Hi DSGuru2B. Can you please elaborate on your reply on having ADAM as "stand-alone" ?
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I have no experience with ADAM. The message that I wanted to convey with my previous post was, that as long as you can write a stand alone piece of code that executes and provides the right result, you can invoke it from within datastage.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

I haven't had a chance to implement one, but reading and writing LDAP should be fairly simple using JavaPack.... java api's for LDAP are common....integrating such with DataStage is very easy. Find someone who knows how to manipulate LDAP in Java and with JavaPack you'll have something working in 1/2 day or less.

As for v8, LDAP integration for user authentication is much more out-of-the-box than ever before, as the entire Information Server platform can have it's authentication OS or LDAP based. DataStage itself still needs formal authentication as before, but can still use PAM as needed (Pluggable Authentication Module) for the machine where it is installed.

Ernie