How to view data in datastage with EBCIDIC file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kamaldeep.kaur
Participant

How to view data in datastage with EBCIDIC file

Post by kamaldeep.kaur »

:?: Hi All,

I m converting a EBCIDIC file into the fixed width ASCII file ,but i m not able to view data in the source stage itself , how can i convert the above file ?
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

What is source stage that you are using. CFF (Complex Flat File) plugin is very suitable stage to do this job.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
kamaldeep.kaur
Participant

Post by kamaldeep.kaur »

but i have restriction to use only Sequential file stage for the source.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

How are you reading the data as? I mean which format? Irrespective of "View Data" would you able to run the job without any error? Hope you are using Transformer to convert to Ascii.
By the way, why was the restriction?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
kamaldeep.kaur
Participant

Post by kamaldeep.kaur »

Ya, i m using transformer to convert the data(but the transformer is holding the direct move)
I m able to run the job but the data is not actually converting,the source file is fixed width.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

What is the data type you are using to read the data?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

kamaldeep.kaur wrote:but i have restriction to use only Sequential file stage for the source.
Always push back on (that is, resist) insane requirements. Demand justification. Would they expect you to tighten screws with a spanner? You have the right tool; insist upon the right to use it. It's not as if it's not in the toolbox.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

If your truely on PX then in sequential file stage, under format tab, you have Type defaults. Under type defaults you have String. String has a property Export EBCDIC as ASCII. Look into that. This property will enable you to read a binary file via sequential file stage.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.