Writing output to a Spreadsheet

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vnspn
Participant

Writing output to a Spreadsheet

Post by vnspn »

Hi,

I'm trying to write output data to a spreadsheet as a .csv file using Sequential File stage. When I view the output spreadsheet, I see that the entire row is in the first cell.

But I want it to be written in such a way that each column is in each cell of the spreadsheet. Please let me know what is the way or settings to get this.

Thanks.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If you are writing a true 'csv' as in a 'comma separated value' file with a .csv extension, then Excel should load it up properly. What does the file look like when you open it in Notepad?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

What "Delimiter" are you using while creating the csv file in the sequential stage?
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Try avoiding Quote characters like single or double ', " if you have any. As noted, if its written properly, it can be easily opened in Excel, despite that, you can open the file specifying the respective column details.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Unless, of course, the delimiter character appears in data - in that case you DO need quoted character strings.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vnspn
Participant

Post by vnspn »

Thanks for all your comments. I was able to solve it.

I gave the Demiliter to be a 'tab' and the Quote character to be nothing. I got the output as needed; as each column written in each cell. :)
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Still wondering why comma didn't worked for you. :roll:
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'