ORA OCI stage and Oracle sequence

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

AthiraM
Participant

ORA OCI stage and Oracle sequence

Post by AthiraM »

Hi,

I am using a sequence in a user defined sql query to insert data into an Oracle table using ORA OCI stage.
But only a very few data is getting inserted saying "unique key constraint has violated", are there any issues using the sequence in a user defined sql in an ORA OCI ?

The job design

http://img104.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsjob1sw5.jpg

The sql query used :

INSERT INTO ODB.VAS_ORDER_MASTER_NEW (VOM_ORDER_NO,VOM_CUSTOMER_EIN,VOM_SUBMITTED_DT,VOM_START_DT,VOM_ACTUAL_END_DT,VOM_ORDER_TYPE,VOM_MONTHLY_ALLOWANCE,VOM_CHC,VOM_STATUS_NO,VOM_REALLOC_ORDER_NO) VALUES (seq_order_no.nextval,:1,TO_DATE(:2, 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS'),TO_DATE(:3, 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS'),TO_DATE(:4, 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS'),:5,:6,:7,:8,:9)

The error :

ORA1..Transformer_4: ORA-00001: unique constraint (ODB.VOM_ORDER_NO_PK1) violated

How can the unique key constraint be violated when a sequence is being used?

Very strange, i tried running the job 3 times, the first time it moved in 86 rows , the second time 43 and the third time 24.

Do shed some light on this.

Thanks
Athira
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

How can we 'shed any light'? You've given us no clue what field or fields make up your PK constraint in that table.

If your Array Size is greater than 1, try setting it down to 1 and let us know if the error persists.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
AthiraM
Participant

Post by AthiraM »

The primary key of the table is vom_order_no and the primary key contraint is named ODB.VOM_ORDER_NO_PK1, a sequence is used to populate it as in query below

INSERT INTO ODB.VAS_ORDER_MASTER_NEW (VOM_ORDER_NO,VOM_CUSTOMER_EIN,VOM_SUBMITTED_DT,VOM_START_DT,VOM_ACTUAL_END_DT,VOM_ORDER_TYPE,VOM_MONTHLY_ALLOWANCE,VOM_CHC,VOM_STATUS_NO,VOM_REALLOC_ORDER_NO) VALUES (seq_order_no.nextval,:1,TO_DATE(:2, 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS'),TO_DATE(:3, 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS'),TO_DATE(:4, 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS'),:5,:6,:7,:8,:9)

The array size is set to 1.

Athira
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Then the issue is something you haven't mentioned yet. :?

How about posting the sequence object definition? Curious what some specific attributes are:

Increment By
Max Value
Cycle

Fun stuff like that... but please post them all. I'm also curious about your 'very strange' remark - when you ran the job 3 times were you expecting it to process 86 rows each time? Are there any constraints on your transformer output link?
-craig

saikir
Participant

Post by saikir »

Hi,

IF you have enabled 'Cycle' option during the sequencer creation then the sequence numbers would repeat. Say if the max value is 100, on reaching 100 the sequence would again start from 1... 100. In such a case, you would defnitely get the uniques constraint violation

Sai
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Disable the Constraint for a while and load the data into table and check what is the actual data that been loaded (which were tyring to load previous time).
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

My guess is that the sequence and the table are not synchronized. There's nothing in Oracle to force them to be synchronized.
Someone has added rows to the table without using the sequence.
You need to re-synchronize (re-initialize) the sequence using SELECT MAX(key)+1 FROM tablename as the value.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That's where I was trying to get to, Ray. Eventually. :wink:

Just because you use a Sequence doesn't magically mean you can't have duplicates. That could be the case if the target table started off life empty and you never had any issues with the Sequence itself, like some kind soul resetting it for you. But what if a scattering of records already exist? Or others are inserting records as well but not using the sequence? All kinds of ways to goof this up.

No different from any other surrogate key generation mechanism, the sdk routines for example.
-craig

AthiraM
Participant

Post by AthiraM »

Thankyou for the valuable inputs. I am checking with the sequence.

Athira
AthiraM
Participant

Post by AthiraM »

Its working..... :)
The destination table already had some data that was inserted w/o using sequence (for the primary key column) and when i tried to insert data using sequence it created all the mess.
once again all the inputs were really very valuable for a beginner.

Thanks a lot
Athira
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi Athira, Its time again for you to change something in this post when the solution is arrived.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'