encryption of client login credentials

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

katz
Charter Member
Charter Member

encryption of client login credentials

Post by katz »

Hi,

I am asked by a colleague if the DataStage clients encrypt the login credentials when sent from the client to host. Does anyone know? (We are running client version 7.5.1.A.)

Thanks,
katz
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Its a simple TCP/IP connection methodology as far as I know. A client server connection methodology. TCP/IP have their own mechnism for passwords. So the question balls down to "What method does TCP use?". I think its better if you search in google.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
katz
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by katz »

Hi DSguru2B,

Thanks. This was more or less my response (the encryption should be handled in another layer of the stack - in this case TCP/IP). Never-the-less, I am being asked to find out if the clients encrypt not only the password, but also the Server name, User Name, and Project.

I do not see this capability in any client documentation or readme file, so I thought maybe this question has arisen for someone else.

Thanks,
katz
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

If there is something extra then I am not aware of it. Maybe one of our elders can shed some more light on it. Else you can always call support.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

Isn't that a function of the presentation layer in the OSI model or the application layer in the Internet model? I don't think this is a function of the transport or internetworking layers. I was under the impression that it should be handled by the two hosts in either the application or presentation layer.
katz
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by katz »

Hi Ultra,

You are correct that encryption should be handled in the Presentaion Layer (one below the Application Layer) of the OSI model.

katz
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

...which is no different then any other application using the client server architecture.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Has anyone thought to switch on Server Side Tracing to see what there is to see?
:idea:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
katz
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by katz »

Hi,

IBM Support have replied that the password details are encrypted. That seems to have satisfied my questioner, for now.

Thanks, for your quick replies.

katz,
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Just the password, what about the other info. like server name and user name ? Is'nt it funny, when you say the same thing they need proof and if 'they' say it, its accepted blindly :shock: